Which Carribbean Island? Some Beach Combing & Customs Advise?

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which Carribbean Island? Some Beach Combing & Customs Advise?

The Misses and I are looking to hit a Caribbean Island in the next month or so. Airfare prices are reasonable but spots are filling up fast! So far we are looking at St Croix, St Lucia, Aruba, Martinique, and the Bahamas among a few others in that order. My question is this. St Croix is in US, so no customs. What have been your first hand experiences on any of these islands and how has customs treated you with a packed detector. Who do we need to ask about the laws for basic detecting? Chamber of commerce?
One friend of mine says it’s a good idea to take a picture (a description advert) of the detector and or battery for those who might think it’s a bomb or weapon of sorts. Saved him a lot of trouble and time. Any links for all this information? Thanks

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: Which Carribbean Island? Some Beach Combing & Customs Advise?

I dunno about customs. I doubt seriously they'd care about a metal detector, any more so than any other type electronic device (P.C., musical equipment, etc...).

As far as "laws for basic detecting", this subject comes up from time to time on forum Q's: Metal detecting in Mexico, or other south american beach resort destinations. The usual answer is that no one cares, and that detectors are a common site on beaches down there. All the major manufacturers (whites, garrett, fisher, etc.... ) have dealers in the bigger cities. It just goes on, and people have md'd down there for decades, no problem.

However, I have no doubt that if you asked enough border consulates, chambers-of-commerce's, cruise-ship lawyers, bureaucrats down there, etc... that you probably would indeed find someone to tell you "no". If they say "yes", it merely means you didn't use the right catch-phrases enough. Like "treasure" and "export" and "gold bars" and "cultural heritage", and so forth. Keep going up the chain of command, asking the right persons with the right mental implications, and you'll find a "no" everywhere in the world, including the USA :P

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Which Carribbean Island? Some Beach Combing & Customs Advise?

ST CROIX OR LUCIA - you might want to check on - I think one of those they made whole island - land and water a national sanctuary and they will grab your machine when you land - I know one of the Virgin islands is off limit
I have hunted a bunch of the other Carribean islands with no prob.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread