Which coils do you use most often?(UPDATED)

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to hear which coils everyone prefers to use on their M6. I've used the stock 9.5" coil exclusively and have been very happy with it. I've never even used another coil. Depth has been impressive with the stock coil, as I've found pennies to a depth of 8-9"-- though they come out as only a whisper at these depths. My favorite targets are old coins, and I've wondered what backup coil would be best to help target the oldies.

Which coil is your favorite for the M6?

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Which coils do you use most often?

I use the 4x6 almost exclusively. It's amazing in the trash, has decent depth and makes the detector noticeably lighter to swing all day. I've read a lot of good things about the 6x10 and tried to make myself learn to love it, but I always go back to the 4x6. I bet the stock coil hasn't been used in two years!

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold

I found a lot of great finds with my stock coil. I first got the 6x10 coil and it is great for target separation, and I kept this on for a while. Desiring a DD design for high target areas I bought the Excelerator 10"DD coil. This has got me deeper than either of these other two coils. Haven't taken it off my machine yet! :headbang:

OP
OP
terpfan

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jcooking said:
I found a lot of great finds with my stock coil. I first got the 6x10 coil and it is great for target separation, and I kept this on for a while. Desiring a DD design for high target areas I bought the Excelerator 10"DD coil. This has got me deeper than either of these other two coils. Haven't taken it off my machine yet! :headbang:

Do you think the Excelerator 10" DD would be good at places I've "cleaned out" with the stock coil? I often wonder how many coins are just an inch or two out of reach of the 9.5" coil I've been using. It is so tough to secure a good old site to detect. Once I get permission I'd kind of hate to leave anything behind.

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold

I do think that you would still find stuff there. When I ordered my 10 "excelerator I decided to pound a small area with my stock coil until it arrived. I cleaned this area with my stock and then went back with the 10" DD excelerator and found a few more keepers. Don't get me wrong, stock coil is great, but IMHO the 10"DD is a better coil for me. Whites makes a 10" DD coil and I have heard good things about it as well. The main advantage of the DD design versus the concentric design is the shape/depth of the signal, I find better and larger signal penetration with the DD design. Good luck and HH!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Before I went to the MXT,I had a M6.I used and still use the 6x10DD Eclipse.Super coil imo.

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold

I had the 6x9 on my machine for quite a while, the 10" DD excelerator goes deeper, but get me more bottle caps, not a bad tradeoff.

OP
OP
terpfan

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone for their helpful comments. That is what I love about these forums, the exchange of knowledge helps us all enjoy this hobby more.

Jcooking, I am really interested in getting the 10" Excelerator after reading about your experience. It would be great to get that extra depth. But how does it do with target separation? At the older homes I search, I find a huge amount of iron nails. It would great to have a coil with the extra depth that also can pick through the iron. Do you think a smaller excelerator coil would be better, or would there be too much loss of depth?

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold

The 10" excelerator is the only excelerator that I have experience with. In my opinion, the target separation is very similar for the 10" excelerator and the 6x9.

oldbob55

Sep 26, 2007
columbia, sc
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, whites M6, Ace 250, Whites eagle spectrum

Have any one use the 8x6 SEF butterfly coil how do you like it ,what kind of depth do you get with it, Any opions on this one
can you use it on the beach or parks.
Thanks
Bob

reporter1

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2010
Central California
Detector(s) used
M6

The 6"x10" Eclipse, hands down. I have a 5.3" but I find that the 6x10 can do most of what it can do plus cover more area and provide great separation. I hear great things about the 4"x6", that it is superior to the 5.3", but I haven't tried it.

I just got a used Minelab Explorer II this week and I'm waiting on the Sunray X-1 probe that I ordered to arrive in a couple of weeks before I take it out. I hear good things about it.

OP
OP
terpfan

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UPDATE: After reading all the great suggestions, I ordered the 10" DD Excelerator from Kellyco. They have a serious backlog in orders and it took me three months to receive the order. Ouch! Kellyco apologized for the delay and waived the fee for shipping. That was good of them. At least the delay occurred in the summer, when the heat and hard ground usually keep me away from swinging the M6.

After using the new 10" Excelerator coil once for about an hour, I am thrilled with the results. I went back to an early 1800s home that I've searched to death with the stock coil. Recent trips had not turned up much at all and I was considering abandoning the site. My hope was that a new coil would breathe new life into a very productive old place.

The first thing I noticed was the additional signals I was hearing-- from areas that were searched many times before. In one hour I recovered three nice targets that were previously missed: a dateless two cent piece (my first), my first silver thimble (which I gave to the homeowner), and a child's ring. The two cent piece was 8-9" deep. It gave a light, yet solid signal from two directions. I agree with jcooking, the 10" DD Excelerator gives additional depth as well as better coverage than the stock 9.5" coil. How much deeper? I'm not sure, but I would guess an inch or two. And as advertised, it does seem to pick out good targets that are hidden amongst the iron.

I really need to get better at pinpointing. With the M6 stock coil pinpointing was always dead on. So far I am not comfortable with pinpointing with the 10" Excelerator, but I guess that will take time.

I'm really excited about getting back to this one acre site and going over it inch by inch!

Whitesmxt66

Dec 29, 2011
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, really want the MXT though.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the stock 9.5, thought about getting a new coil, was thinking DD style smaller to stay away of most of the trash. I was reading and they said that you can get a deeper more accurate pinpoint with the smaller DD style coils. Not really to sure what I am going to do myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread