Which coin SCALE and MAGNIFIER to buy. Please help.

Gingymann

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to improve on my coin roll hunting and become more professional at it. Until now, I just weighted stuff with my own hands and tried to look for errors with the naked eye. I think it's time to purchase a scale and a magnifier. I just started my search and there are so many options and twists I dont know which would serve me better. I would like your opinions. Which scale or magnifier do you use??? The more details the better. I would even appreciate actual links into buying the products.

I also want to organize my CRH collection. So far I plan to use air-tites for the better rare coins (like barber half dollars) and coin tubes for the 40% kennedy halves. I also plan on using cardboard holders and binder pages to store a few nice coins and errors that deserve a better treatment than a tube, but are still not worth it to have in air-tite capsules. I have noticed that not all cardboard are 2x2. Which ones should I buy??? I though they were all 2x2, but I saw that companies are selling 1.5x1.5 and 2.5x2.5. Can somebody explain this to me??? Finally, even the binder pages come in different varieties. Some are vinyl and other archival. Whats the difference??? By the way, they can range from 12 pockets to 30 pockets. Which type do you recommend???

Buying coin collecting supplies ain't easy for the newbs. Right now, I have all my CRH finds displayed in rows and stacked in front of my TV display shelf. It was okay when I had just a couple - that way I could look at them everyday and motivate myself to keep CRH - but now it is getting out of control and I need to hide/secure them. I better buy some coin storage supplies. Any help will be appreciated.

Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gingy, I'm sure someone will have some specifics for you on scales and magnifiers but you might also want to pick up a pair of reading glasses. You can get different magnifications and they are cheap. Works pretty well for me.
Merc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread