Which detector for a beginner?

K

kestrel0222

Hi,

I am new to this forum and to metal detecting. I have never used a metal detector before but I am doing a lot of research in regards to the many different brands and trying to decide which one might be best for me, a beginner. I have a budget to hold to, that would be $250 - $300 max. I have found (3) detectors that fall into that price range. They are:

Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Fisher 1225-X

I would be using this detector on both fresh water beaches (dry sand) and public park areas. My interests are manly in coins and maybe jewelry.

I would like to know if any of these will fill that roll, if so, which would you recommend?

I am leaning toward the Garrett Ace 250 only because I have read so many good things about that particular piece of equipment. I have not found too much written about the other (2) detectors. Any information that you could give me would be a great help.

Thanks

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Ace 250

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Never used the others on your list, but I can tell you that the ACE 250 is a good machine. Good depth and alot of features for the money. Have had it for a couple of weeks, learned it and am finding stuff.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I have the Ace 250 also and love it. Has found me a few nice coins from the 1800's...would love to find a colonial copper with it though, just have to find the right spot. You would not be disappointed with the Ace.

HH

Funkman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the three detectors you listed, the ACE 250 is the one a lot of the hunters are raving about. It's in your price range too. There are others that would fit the bill also. You would be quite happy with the Garrett ACE 250.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
K

kestrel0222

Thanks everyone for all your advise. It looks like the winner is..... the Ace 250!!!!!!!
Now all I have to do is get Santa to get me one for X-mas!

Thanks again

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one detector, "Mystery X," within the current crop of entry level units that is about as good as it gets. While it isnt the best detector in the world, it is rugged and quality built - you wont find much to fault. It offers plenty of tech features that the modern newbie, raised on iPods and X-Box, can relate to. The company that builds it stands behind it and is an All American company, based in God's own Texas.

It is sensitive, almost to a fault and has good DISCRIMINATION. It's target separation with it's stock searchcoil rivals units costing twice as much and "Mystery X" has many coil options, too. however, in my humble opinion, it comes equipped with one of THE best coils as is. It's response time is suited to almost any sweep speed and will be a real aid in the places most newbies go: schools, parks and older houses. It is attractive and is lightweight, for all day swinging. Widely adaptable to various conditions, it's one sore spot is that it's pinpoint function can be a bit difficult to master. Given its other great benefits, this is of little worry and in truth, only takes practice.

FinallyIf you dont like the hobby after you tire of digging trash with "Mystery X" ( you WILL, by the way - trash is everywhere and masquerades as goodies)), it can be sold for good money at little loss. You've probably already guessed which detector is the "Mystery X" unit, so let's cut straight to it.

We're talking about the Garrett Ace 250. Get one; it'll do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread