Which detector should ı buy

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OP
OP
scarfaceses26

scarfaceses26

Dec 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned BLACK SAND. The VLF detectors will loose dept where as a PI can cut through heavy black sand.
Which detector best for shallow water my area is a very high mineralized black sand and saltwater i want a detect w et sand and snorkelling

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which detector best for shallow water my area is a very high mineralized black sand and saltwater i want a detect w et sand and snorkelling

You will be the only one who can answer that. Conditions change from site to site. I've used both multifrequency and PI machines in black sand. They both are affected to some degree. If you swing the coil too fast, you will get false signals. If you slow down, both will work okay. In real bad ground, you will usually just get a loss of depth, a poorer signal, and (if applicable) a jumpier target I.D. with whichever machine you buy. Your main decision is whether to get discrimination or not based on the level of iron trash in your area. If you've never hunted it, that might hard to determine. My main point is that the only negative in getting a good discriminating machine like the Excalibur or CZ21 is the cost. With the right coil and adjusted properly, they go just about as deep as a PI machine, and in some cases, just as deep. If you happen to detect a site with lots of iron in the future, you'll wish you had discrimination!

Last edited:

SWFLA

Feb 12, 2008
Cape Coral FL
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,
Whites Duel Field pi
I have a duel Field, I dig alot of trash and Treasure, I use a RTG big 7 scoop and that helps a ton on digging, good luck.

OP
OP
scarfaceses26

scarfaceses26

Dec 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be the only one who can answer that. Conditions change from site to site. I've used both multifrequency and PI machines in black sand. They both are affected to some degree. If you swing the coil too fast, you will get false signals. If you slow down, both will work okay. In real bad ground, you will usually just get a loss of depth, a poorer signal, and (if applicable) a jumpier target I.D. with whichever machine you buy. Your main decision is whether to get discrimination or not based on the level of iron trash in your area. If you've never hunted it, that might hard to determine. My main point is that the only negative in getting a good discriminating machine like the Excalibur or CZ21 is the cost. With the right coil and adjusted properly, they go just about as deep as a PI machine, and in some cases, just as deep. If you happen to detect a site with lots of iron in the future, you'll wish you had discrimination!
Yes cudamark my hunting area is very big because my town is on the seaside and alot of trash everywhere ı think ı must be buy a excalibur 2 but can ı use it in the land and can it effect all time in the saltwater beacuse ı am hunting agean sea and its very salty

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excalibur can be used one land too, but, it has it's shortcomings there. It's a fairly heavy machine depending on how you have it rigged. The main problem I see for using it in a turfed area is that it doesn't have a depth meter, nor does it have a target I.D. At the beach, that's not a problem, but, in a park, school, or property search, that will slow you down. It also doesn't eliminate bottle caps very well. Sometimes you get a nice broken signal, but, most of the time, they just don't sound bad enough to ignore. If you are primarily hunting the water or beach that has lots of junk targets, it's a great detector to have. A PI machine would drive me insane in a place like that. If you can afford it, the CTX would be a better choice for land and sea, or, maybe wait to see how the Equinox tests out. The price is certainly a big plus! :icon_thumright:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you know...... but its just as much the salt water its self causing your problem. You may well not need a PI. That will depend on what the beaches you hunt are like trash and iron wise. Ive always recommends an Xcal to start with..... then you know you can hunt about any beach and it will pay for its self fairly quickly. If you feel you need a PI after that...... thats the time to consider one. You could find yourself digging iron in a 3' area all day while the disc machine are getting all the recent drops. the Xcal has the ability to hunt in PP mode..... trust me, you will know if you want to buy a PI after a few hunts with it in PP. ML does have this new EQ coming out as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread