which detector should we buy ?

boarman1

May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not wanting to spend much money. I want something that works affectively and will get the job done. I know I could spend $2000 on one but Im not. but I just want to see how my son likes doing it and the one I have now is a $99 one and it beeps just to beep and gives false readings all the time. And what store do you suggest to buy from ? I would like to spend $200 to $400 on one. I was looking at this one Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector Im looking for bullets. coils jewelry and anything else metal from the civil war.

brownstown hunter

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2012
jackson co. IN
Detector(s) used
whites coin master pro, garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to kellyco .com great prices, and yes the ace 250 will do fine , but you might want the AT pro it is better and fully water proof for only $597

OP
OP
B

boarman1

May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Ill take a look at those. I need to stay closer to $200 right now. I just got permission to go to a home that was a civil war hospital . When I was young me and my dad went there to do some work and this guy had a room in the house that had guns and swords and doctor bags and books and you name it it was in the room but someone came in one night and stole everything. But he owns 300 acres and there is a well on the property that they say some union soilders dumped a couple of confederate bodies in and There was hundred if not thousands of soilders that came through this property and there should be something good still in the area so Im in a rush to get something that will work good for us.

May 7, 2009
Kellyco.com will have the best variety & run great package deals to include items such as pin-pointers, headphones, carrying case, etc. You can talk to a sales rep for their recommendation based on your budget. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

boarman1

May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Ill give them a call this morning. I know I wanted ideas from guys who have used them and learned pro's and con's on different models.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Im not wanting to spend much money. I want something that works affectively and will get the job done. I know I could spend $2000 on one but Im not. but I just want to see how my son likes doing it and the one I have now is a $99 one and it beeps just to beep and gives false readings all the time. And what store do you suggest to buy from ? I would like to spend $200 to $400 on one. I was looking at this one Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector Im looking for bullets. coils jewelry and anything else metal from the civil war.

Just buy a Garrett ACE 250.

You finally will learn the ropes with it.

You'll unearth many conis and trinkets with it.

You might want to buy a Garrett PRO pointer too. This will serve you well during many hunting adventures.

And, the day you'll be ready for an upgrade, well.....just buy a more expensve detector BUT ...don't even think of selling the Ace!!!

Grumpy.

OP
OP
B

boarman1

May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered one from Kellyco. They suggest the fisher F2 and it comes with the pointer and says it will get the job done just fine for now. The reviews are good for what it is so hopefully it will be good. Im not really into this hobby for the money but would it be nice to find items to help support the hobbie ?? I really started this to give me and my son something to do together and he enjoys finding relics. IF it beeps he is like a bird dog wanting to hunt a bird. / to dig it up.LOL

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An ace 250 is an awesome machine for a young guy,I bought one myself a couple of years ago and was very much impressed with it.Sold it though,I have V3,DFX,Surf pro PI na love them all. Happy hunting.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

boarman1

May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I had some issues with the F2 so Im sending it back and now looking at the F4 with the DD 11" coil. Do you guys have any suggestions on this model ?

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get the Ace & your worries are gone!

DeadElvis

Apr 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Boarman,

I use a Whites Coinmaster (not the Pro), full retail is 179.95 I believe. I might as well use this opportunity to review it.

I started hunting early this spring, and now I have a couple of buddies who have picked up the hobby. In short, I've been very happy with it.

Pros: Discrimination is functional, depth gives me targets as deep as I want to dig with my trowel, and battery life is awesome (2 nine-volts btw). As far as target ID, about all I can say due to experience is if it says it's a copper penny, it's a copper penny. If it burps iron, and it rarely does with discrimination on, it's a large nail or a shallow beer can. Large iron, however, will show up in the half-dollar range. I dug half a cast-iron pot the size of a witches kettle earlier this year. It's light and easy to swing for hours at a time.

Pinpoint mode is fairly accurate and response time is good (no delay when passing over target) It doesn't miss much. My best find(s) so far have been a Merc and Wheat Pennies.

Cons: Only 2 audio tones, target and iron burp. You can only discriminate from the bottom up (you can't notch out targets, I think this is functionality the Pro added). Another con is it hasn't produced more silver for me, but I think that might be my fault ;)

Anyway, on to another detector, I've never used one but I've done a lot of research and can't recall any negatives on the Garrett Ace 250. I think you'll be digging plenty of targets with either though, if my newbie opinion matters. I have a bucket full of buckles, clasps, clad coins, pull tabs, nails, and unidentified stuff.

I won't be selling the Coinmaster when I upgrade. I'll keep it as a backup or buddy machine.

DE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread