Which Detector?

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I'm going to reply with the usual questions.

1. What type of "goodies" do you hope to find? Coins, relics, gold?
2. What type of environment will you usually hunt? Dry land, beach, shallow water?

I'm sure I missed a couple but these are two very important consideration when choosing a detector.
Give us some more info, and I'm sure people who know the machines can help.
Good Luck and welcome.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Happy with my 250, have found gold, silver & clad coins, Iron relics from a civil war era plantation. Deepest coin was 7-8", the iron was 8-10" deep. Its nice to have a screen to relate to as well as the tones(I depend more on the tones) when learning. For the first few months I had a dig all approach till I learned more about the machine. I am currently looking for another detector to see if I'd like another machine better, maybe a tesoro .

glasskeeper

Oct 29, 2006
Central, Vermont
I'm new to the hobby and I got a Garrett Ace 250. My brother and nephew also use these detectors. I have found it very easy to use. No problem finding money with it. I have also found 2 sterling silver rings, some musket balls and a colonial button among other things.
Jim.

OP
OP
DAS7NY

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
I live on Long Island. I'm hoping to find old relics and coins. I'm planning on searching beaches and parks. Maybe if a miracle happens I'd find a cache but I doubt it ;D.

prison police

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2008
Marion, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
New to the Hobby also and my friend has several MD's and he directed me o the Ace 250 and said apples to apples the 250 did just as good and if not better than his $800.00 unit. His $800.00 unit went deeper but the Ace 250 ..... for the money.... you cant beat it. I love mine. Its lite and just a all round nice unit. Good luck.
ACE 250 Good luck agian PP

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Both are about the same price, the Garrett ACE 250 is a very popular one, mainly because it comes with a built in pinpointer, but it is also heavy too. You can tire of waving it around soon after. It has automaticly depth range, but also lots of settings, so for a beginner, you might want to consider a simple machine first. I've been detecting for years and have found over 500 items, and I still use a Bounty Hunter which is one of the least expensive ones, but it has never failed me. So just get what you enjoy, all detectors work, and there really isn't a better one, it's what you prefer to use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread