Which Headphones Do You Use?

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what does everyone like to use?

I see a critical component that is entirely overlooked by a lot of serious MDers... the playback equipment. No matter how big and bad your machine is if the headphones can't reproduce the subtle differences in tone clearly, it's all for nothing! I've spent too much time involved in loudspeaker design to know most of whats out there is garbage, especially for this purpose!

You want a headphone that is designed specifically to reproduce the mids to low-highs with pristine clarity. You don't want headphones capable of producing bass. You don't want headphones that reproduce 14k+. Why? Because to have a well rounded full range speaker you end up sacrificing clarity in certain band ranges due to the nature of the cone's material... inherent resonances / cone break up / air propagation / weight to power / thermal inductance changes in the VC, then you can get into analyzing the motor assembly and even the frame of the speaker itself plays a big role! Equipment used in voice recording playback is ideal for MDing purposes given the frequency ranged they are designed for and many of them will operate in mono.

Any headphones I look up for this purpose, the manufacturers say nothing about the specifications of the drivers themselves... which generally means they are marketing to people who aren't concerned with the specs so they know they can get away with using sub-par building materials and a lax approach to engineering them. You have no need for a 40mm driver in this case, ever. Its big and heavy and sloppy unless you pay a small fortune for the motor assembly... but then kiss your battery life goodbye. Generally speaking... higher impedance results in a cleaner signal but requires more power for a given volume / loudness.

Ultimately everyone's hearing is different, and will prefer different headphones based on which frequency ranges their particular ears are good at picking up and which they struggle with. Again based on the cone material used, they all propagate different frequencies at different speeds.. during testing both pairs might produce a 1khz frequency... but one of them does it easier, more efficiently, and with less distortion resulting in easier / cleaner listening. The audio playback circuit in the machine itself, and how much thought the engineers gave it, will also play a crucial role in tone differentiation. Good headphones + distorted input source = crystal clear distorted signal!

Easy way to tell if they are worth looking into further... follow the gold! Plating... good engineers will mandate gold plating at the connection points. Also make sure to get semi-open circumaural for max sound isolation without sweaty ears (if heat is a concern I'd go with supra-aural)!! Hope this helps, sorry if it kinda bounces around I'm a bit behind on sleep. Maybe I'll sit down and give a seriously detailed report on this for ya guys sometime.

***LINKS***

Budget Friendly $69 USD AKG K240 - Doesn't swivel / Open Back (breathes)
Budget Friendly Sennheiser HD280 $76 USD Swivels / Closed Back
Broadcast Grade Beyerdynamic DT102 $155 USD Single Ear Cup / Uncoiled Cable / Ideal sound quality if your machine can run 400ohm headphones (takes a good bit of power) if it can't then check this out Portable Headphone Amp $60 USD acts as a "line driver" I'm sure you creative folks can jury rig a solar charger for extended field use

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I needed a set of headphones for my Eurotek Pro! I ordered a pair of Teknetic HP and didn't like the fit so I decided to try the Garrett "Easy Stow" headphones
They are lightweight and do have a coiled cord. They sound great and best of all, they were only $24!

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny thing last weekend was a fellow had a detector that he was sure sounded like a dying rabbit on the speaker when over a target. He was a bit worried that it might attract bears. It sure drove my dog nuts from a hundred yards away.

B J

May 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the ear buds that hook over your ear and leave one side off.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've used Grey Ghost for years and found many nuggets with them. No chance of rattlers where I detect, and due to rapid bedrock and mineralization changes, without a quality set of headphones, I'd miss far too many targets.

All the best,

Lanny

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aufish, I am one of several who appreciates your knowledge and effort on this subject. Are you willing to go a bit further with it as you offered in one of your posts?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread