Which hookah works best? Airline or Brownies third lung and why?????

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi everyone just was wondering which hookah system works better?? Which one gives you the best performance and air quality and which one is the easiest to fix?? I have had problems with the Brownie system and when I have to send it back to have it fixed the shipping killed me!! Especially since I live in Hawaii and it was a pain in the ass!!! >:( Any suggestions on my next purchase would really help me out tons!! Aloha ;D

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Hey Makahaman...

One of the things that I have been using is a set of high pressure 120's strapped down to an inner tube. I run a first stage regulator off it, have a 75' low-pressure hose hooked up to my EXO-26 full face maskl. I get almost three hours out of it and i can get into some real tight places with it. I don't worry about it flipping over, I hang my goody bags off of the inner tube, use a tiny anchor to keep it in place and when I'm out of air, I come up, grab hold of the inner tube and kick my way into shore.

The only drawback is refilling the doubles...

But, I have my own high pressure compressor so ...

Wayne

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Southern maine diver, you should get some low pressure 120s. 2 Fabers and 2 Pressed Steel Cylinders. I have 4 and they really last you forever. Their operating pressure is 2400, but I always fill to 3000-3300 or so. I have DIN connections and 5000 psi burst discs. At 3300 psi it holds aprox 160 cu ft of air. I just use singles and for SCUBA diving only. On the topic of hookahs makahaman, I have an older Brownies Third Lung 390, and it has the Gast PCA-10 compressor, and it can keep 3 divers at 90 feet working, and still supply plenty of air. I only use it with 2 regs, but it work fantastic. I know the new ones have a different compressor. I just have it a little above an idle, and it works fine. What was the problem with your hookah?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been a while since I used the Brownies and my dive buddys and I didn't like it. I got into using the Keene Hookah with the Honda engine and parts were easy to get from Keene if I needed it. I never used the Airline, but hear it is very good. I've used the electric hookah that run off AC on a boat and they are nice since you don't have any bad air to get into the intake. Makes less noise to bother anyone else in a marina or aboard the boat. Never used the DC battery jobbies.

I always carried a 19 cu. pony bottle and a spare air too. Two knives, one on chest and one on calf.

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Thanks for all of the replies I really do appreciate it very much!! ;D How do you guys like the hookah that runs off of a battery? Is it alot quieter? I want to be as quiet as possible because I don't like to get any more attention that I need!! What are the drawbacks of the battery operated units? Has anyone run into alot of trouble as far as maintenance goes? My old Brownies gave me lots of trouble because it was belt driven and the belt would slip and I wouldn't get enough air!! I would love to hear more ideas on this subject if anyone has anymore and also to hear of other brands of devices made. Thanks very much ;D ;D

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Makahaman - you don't need a hookah. What you need is a closed circuit rebreather. Poseidon just launched their unit. They call it a recreational rebreather which is easy to use and low on maintenance. Check it out.

IamTheWalrus - Amsterdam in Europe? I did not know know of any hookah with a CE certification. If thats the case please tell me more:)

/V

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I've only had experience with an older Brownie hookah system that has a Honda motor. It works great but the accessories are WAY overpriced for what you get. I would probably have to recommend getting a Spare Air or something similar if diving in depths greater than one atmosphere for safe ascent, should the motor or a regulator malfunction.

Gringo

Jun 8, 2006
TCI
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excalibur 1000, White's Pro
I have been using the Brownie's, direct drive with the Subaru Robin engine for three years now. Only problems have been with the Subaru, and they were easy ones. A glop of RTV on the spark plug boot, and I just replaced a carb. Its all about maintenance with these engines. You can't just haul them out of salt water, hose them off, and forget them. you HAVE to use the Corrosion X or similar to protect them, or you are asking for trouble.

I will say when I needed help from Brownies, their customer service has been excellent. And I live further away than Hawaii in some regards....I might be closer to the USA physically, but Hawaii can get overnight Fed Ex...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread