Which Metal Detector Is Better

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I think an easier question would be 'Which is better Ford or Chevy?' if we can first answer that one then we could move on to tougher queries such as the Whites vs Minelab issue :)

kd8hf

Nov 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Classic ID
For "ME", the best is the DFX. That's what I started with and it has been good to me plus I still have not fully learned the machie.

If you have a local dealer in your area then stop and try several machines out before you purchase.

Check out the various websites of the mfgr's and see what they say too.

White's site makes available the manual for each of their machines that can be viewed/downloaded as well.

Hope this helps.

HH

Gary

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i run a TROY X5

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Baron Von De Kalb said:
i run a TROY X5
Yes I run an X5 too. Sold my Ex 11 to get it. It was simply a better all around machine- nuggets, coins, relics. As I mainly hunt gold specimens now- the X-5 can detect them whereas they were undetectable with the Ex 11. Just the light weight of the X-5 is a pleasure to use.(Still waiting for the X-7 with tone ID to be introduced)

This has been menitioned above- Find a detector you like and not someone else's favorite- The old Ford vs Chevy thing

However for your uses I would go with the Ex 11SE. I didn't like the weight and balance of the Ex11 but with it's tone ID I felt it was the best coin detector I had used. You may end up with a bungee cord to take the weight off. Actually the best bargains out there are on used Ex 11s.

I of course would not plan on buying anything before spring- This is winter for me and who knows what will be introduced before Spring?(I have my eye on one detector which has not been released yet and hopefully it will be released before next Spring)

George

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both the detectors mentioned are great machines as are ones from Tesoro and Garrett. You should play with them in a dealers store first before falling in love. You wouldn't buy a car without taking a test drive. Basically you are just going to have to learn the language the detector is saying.

Some are hipmountable and some aren't. Some are heavy and some aren't, your just going to have to do more research. We have our personal favorites.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, isnt that kinda like asking which are prettier, blondes or brunettes? ;D

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
treasure_hunter said:
LOL, isnt that kinda like asking which are prettier, blondes or brunettes? ;D
Blondes are definitely prettier. Of course I married a blonde. You don't think that influenced my answer do you?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I dated blondes all my life, and yet my wife is Filipino and has long black hair.

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
When your looking at detectors in the same price range the only way to find the best one is to find the one you like best. Such as which one do you like the controles on the sound of the weight the display screen.
Every maker is going to say there $1000.00detector is better then the other guys. It all comes down to which one your most comfortable with. How good the detector is is only as good as you know how to use it
Practice practice practice is what makes it worth what you pay for it But if you don't like your detector and don't enjoy using it then it might as well be a $50.00 Radio Shack special.
Good luck with your choice.
red

privet12

Oct 31, 2005
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Hey I just got my Understanding White's DFX book from White's today so havent had to time to go thru it yet but it is free from them so you mite try going to their site and order up one that mite help you make up your mind.

Rockfshr

May 22, 2005
Hampton Roads VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shootist said:
I think an easier question would be 'Which is better Ford or Chevy?' if we can first answer that one then we could move on to tougher queries such as the Whites vs Minelab issue :)
Mopar!!!!!! ;)

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Which one's better? If you are like most of the folks on this board, you will end up owning several. Ditto blondes, brunettes, readheads, baldies. That was in honor of James Brown. WAIT! We don't own them, they own us! It IS a man's world, up until the women come home.

Tourezrick

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't own them, they own us! It IS a man's world, up until the women come home.

Spoken like a happly married man. ;D

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
As someone who has used both machines, here is my opinion. The DFX might be better at finding jewelry. The Explorer is better at finding coins, especially deep coins. And the Explorer is most definitely better at finding caches, no doubt about it.
Bob

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
I THINK I'VE ASKE THIS BEFORE BUT I HAVE AN ALMOST NEW, USED 2 TIMES RADIOSHACK DISCOVERY 2000, MY QUESTION IS...WILL THIS MD GIVE ME ANY DEPTH OR IS IT A LOST CAUSE WITH SUCH A CHEAP MD

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
First ask what you want to hunt for such as coins or jewelry ; where you want to hunt next such as beaches , land or both and whether you want target ID or not. Obviously the top of the line detectors from the major brands all have the best of the latest technology but in the hands of a person not willing to use it correctly or learn it , then any detector will do. let me know if you need any more help deciding. 8)
TonyinCT
www.tcmetaldetectors.com

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Right now just basic stuff at the parks,schools, camping sites, fresh water shores, dunes..etc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions