WHICH ONE? CORTES OR XTERRA 70?

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello guys hadn't posted in a while... still loving my vaquero but wanting a id machine...
I have narrowed it down to the x70 and the cortes... I would like all input. I will be buying either one towards the end of jan...so let me know..... :D
sandman let me know what you think....

kybowhunter

Feb 22, 2006
Detector(s) used
F75 / M6 / Cortes
Re: Tesoro Cortes vs x-terra 70

I have the Cortes and did own the x-50.

The ID on the x-50 is much nicer to view and read, I really have a hard time reading it on the Cortes.

The Cortes is single tone. the x-50 multiple tones. I personally like multiple tones.

On depth I'd give a slight edge to the x-50.

Weight and balance - edge goes to the Cortes.

Ground balance is very simple on the x50 -

For just coinshooting I'd definitely give the edge to the Cortes, relic hunting I'd pick the x50.... just my two cents.

good luck in which ever one you decide to go with.

Willy

And the XTerra 70 is considerably more capable than the XT50. I'd take the XT70 over the Cortez any day, though the warranty on the Tesoro detectors is vastly superior and the accessories for the ML's are often overpriced. ..Willy.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
I own a number of Tesoro's and love them all, but the Xterra 70 is in a different class than the Cortes. And with the 10.5 DD coil, it is deeper than ANY Tesoro, while IDing at the same time. It's also a really fun detector to use, and very flexible.

Willy

The sad thing is, I really like Tesoro detectors, but the way that the company 'lobotomizes' their machines really irks me. If they'd bite the bullet and come up with a really fine TID detector that can be used for prospecting, I'd get one. As it is, they have nothing that can really compete with the MXT/XT70.. especially the 70. ..Willy.

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys for the info... I've did a ton of research in the last 3 weeks and I think even though Tesora has a lifetime warranty and quality machine... I just think by talking to owners of both that the
xterra-70 is a better machine, as far as features and variety of different uses. I like the idea of multitones and the different coils. I wish minelab had a lifetime warrranty, but can't get everything you want... you watch Tesoro will come out with a new id machine in March... :D
thanks again...
let you know when the xterra 70 arrives and get some time under my belt on it..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Gonehunting said:
Thanks guys for the info... I've did a ton of research in the last 3 weeks and I think even though Tesora has a lifetime warranty and quality machine... I just think by talking to owners of both that the
xterra-70 is a better machine, as far as features and variety of different uses. I like the idea of multitones and the different coils. I wish minelab had a lifetime warrranty, but can't get everything you want... you watch Tesoro will come out with a new id machine in March... :D
thanks again...
let you know when the xterra 70 arrives and get some time under my belt on it..
.....You went the right way when you said you will get the...Minelab Xterra 70... when some one buys a detector for the reason it has a life time warranty does not make any sense to me. I have been detecting sense about 1980 give or take and as many times as i had to send a detector in for service you can count on one hand...........and most of the time even that the warranty was up they still never charged me.....every one worries about the warranty to much....................... don't worry about the warranty get the detector you want and like.............==Jim==

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
your right Jim, the only time i ve ever had to send one back was a used garrett (my first) dectector and they fixed it for free and it was a dinosaur... I really think the x70 is the best for that price range... hadn't heard any different. Still have a week before I get it...so if anyone knows of a better machine for that price.. let me know...Evan

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like Tesoro machines, but on this one I gotta agree with the majority. Having owned neither, but judging by the spec sheets, the X70 wins hands down.

Dan

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
The only TID detector on the market that compares to the Xterra 70 at any price is the Explorer, but of course it's $500 more. In my opinion I much prefer the 70. It's more fun to use, easier to use, and very comfortable. It has a four year warranty, which while not lifetime, is pretty good. I like Tesoros a lot, but when you buy one, the lifetime warranty is added to the price. Nothing's free.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Shenandoah : Just curious: Have you used all the detectors on the market? To say that the only detector better than the X70 is quite a bold statement for sure. And : WHo told you Tesoro "ADDS" cost to the detector for a lifetime warranty? Tesoros are some of the least expensive best operating detectors there is. Just want to claify your statement

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Well Tony I haven't used all detectors on the market to be sure. But since the late 70's I've used and owned, at one time or another, 50 or so. Buy them, trade them, whatever. I currently have 8 detectors, and generally keep about that many, just for variety's sake. I've used many of the White's, Tesoros, Garretts, Minelabs, Ground Hawks, etc. And my experience is that the 70 is the best of any I've tried. Is there something better out there with a TID for all around hunting? Maybe, but not that I've seen so far. Of course this is just my opinion. We've all got them. I've been in the retail business most of my life, and there's no question that companies add something to the cost of every product to cover warranty issues, advertising, marketing, loss prevention, to name a few. Tesoro does too of course. That's how they stay in business. Is their detector built better than anyone elses? Maybe it is.

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shenandoah Digger said:
Well Tony I haven't used all detectors on the market to be sure. But since the late 70's I've used and owned, at one time or another, 50 or so. Buy them, trade them, whatever. I currently have 8 detectors, and generally keep about that many, just for variety's sake. I've used many of the White's, Tesoros, Garretts, Minelabs, Ground Hawks, etc. And my experience is that the 70 is the best of any I've tried. Is there something better out there with a TID for all around hunting? Maybe, but not that I've seen so far. Of course this is just my opinion. We've all got them. I've been in the retail business most of my life, and there's no question that companies add something to the cost of every product to cover warranty issues, advertising, marketing, loss prevention, to name a few. Tesoro does too of course. That's how they stay in business. Is their detector built better than anyone elses? Maybe it is.
Honestly guys don't really care what the price is or not, not debating on that... I WANT TO KNOW IF THERE IS A MACHINE THAT RANKS WITH THE TWO DETECTORS FOR THAT PRICE! I don't want any arguements...thanks....

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well guys the x70 is in the mail... hopefully it will be here by friday.... thanks for the input...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions