Which one of you is going to be the first ;)

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
And can I come with :headbang:
from Prospecting in space not far off, Planetary Resources says

Prospecting in space is just a few short years away, according to Planetary Resources
Planetary Resources has an idea that's out of this world: Instead of limiting ourselves to the resources of one planet, why not see what the rest of the universe has to offer?
Asteroid mining could become reality sooner than we think. Billionaire-backed Planetary Resources is launching technology demonstration missions this summer to showcase the asteroid-prospecting spacecraft they've developed.
They say that within three years they'll be launching their first customer-financed mission to explore targets for resource extraction.
The company has attracted some high profile investors, most notably Google executives Larry Page and Eric Schmidt.
There are, of course, some major obstacles. Mining is often a multi-billion-dollar investment on earth. In space the costs are astronomical.
There's also the issue of figuring out how much ore individual asteroids are carrying. A recent set of studies from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics highlighted just how little we know about the composition of space rocks.
MINING.com recently spoke with Planetary Resources' Chief Engineer Chris Lewicki. Here's what he had to say about how his company will tackle these issues.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the places I go for work I often see a bumper sticker that says 'EARTH FIRST WE'LL MINE THE OTHER PLANETS LATER' :thumbsup: I'm sure it will be the Canadians who will be the first at ore reduction of deposits from mars. That's who I'll put my money on.

Attachments

• earth 1st.jpg
    earth 1st.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
NASA begins accepting applications from privates to mine the Moon

In the places I go for work I often see a bumper sticker that says 'EARTH FIRST WE'LL MINE THE OTHER PLANETS LATER' :thumbsup: I'm sure it will be the Canadians who will be the first at ore reduction of deposits from mars. That's who I'll put my money on.

Or the Chinese... ;)

In a related story
NASA begins accepting applications from privates to mine the Moon | MINING.com
So why is NASA taking permits on what I believe is international property...

In what can be considered giant leap towards mining minerals from the moon, the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has began accepting applications from potential business partners interested in mining the moon.
The move, part of a plan unveiled in January, aims to find private financing to help its experts design and build lunar prospecting robots, the first major step required to explore Earth’s natural satellite for valuable resources.
Unlike some loaded business figures who have set up their own space mining endeavours, NASA only counts on a budget set by the US government, which has refused to provide any further funding for the so called Lunar Cargo Transportation and Landing by Soft Touchdown (Lunar CATALYST) initiative.
In a teleconference late last month, Jason Crusan, director of NASA's advanced exploration systems, said business partners could support commercial activities on the moon while enabling new science and exploration missions of interest to NASA and the larger scientific and academic communities.
Experts claim space mining is a necessity as many metals that underpin our modern economy are quickly being depleted. Without any new technological advances, metals like zinc and gold are expected to run out in 100 years, they claim.
But the road ahead doesn’t look easy. In fact, a study from Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics published last month highlights just how problematic this space mining/travelling business could be.

Last edited:

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
some scientist think it probable that Saturn and Jupiter rain diamonds. Too Bad the surface is mushy and the atmosphere toxic

OP
OP
S

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
some scientist think it probable that Saturn and Jupiter rain diamonds. Too Bad the surface is mushy and the atmosphere toxic
DeBers wii be there first to controll supplies (price) bet on it...
Jupiter is loaded with hydrocarbons... AKA OIL!! can you say enough to fuel every gas guzzler for the next 10 billion years...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread