Which one, Surf Pro, or BHID??

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II
I am looking for a water detector, mostly surf, and wet sand. I currently use a Prism III, I bought it when I was nowhere near the ocean, now I am surrounded by it! I like Whites, but not against any other machine though.

Looking at the website, I can't tell much of a difference except for price.

Can someone give me an idea?

Thanks!
vegasmtl

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Surfpro was the predecessor to the BHID. The BHID is a 2 tone VLF machine much akin to the Fisher line of submersible detectors. I beleive the Surfpro was a single freq unit geared more towards freshwater. The BHID is only waterproof to 25 feet so if diving is a consideration it may not be the best choice. I just bought a BHID in December and am dying to take it out. The Whites rep told me it would handle black sand and mineralization well and that it was specifically designed for salt water hunting. The surfpro was made more for freshwater

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If your young and don't mind digging deep holes for your targets the Whites PI is the machine for you. It goes incredibly deep but cannot disc. out iron. If your brand loyal the Whites ID machine is good, but can be heavy after a while. If money is no object the Excal 1000 is a good machine with its multi tone ID system.

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
One of my water machines is the BHID. It has a 3-tone system, can be run in all metal with target ID using the LEDs, can be hip or chest mounted with no wire connection issues, has another super 12" coil option available, super fast target recovery (fast on wet/dry sand), great price! :)

detector dave

Dec 23, 2007
between Cadillac and Big Rapids
Detector(s) used
whites 6000 & spectrum
I had the White's surf master (square box ) styal. Do not get this model it leaks water into it. the O ring on The square box will not seal when you go from Hot summer air into cold lake water it acts like a vacum and sucks water in around the seal. Get a under water detector that is round and has a screw cap for the batteries.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I don't have any experience with the Beach hunter but I do own a Surfmaster PI pro.

Thus far it is a pretty good machine but it only has one mode. That is ALL METAL. There is no discrimination on it. So when you use it at the beach, be aware that you are going to find anything from coins and rings to pull tabs and fishing lures.

I haven't used mine in deep water yet so I don't know if it leaks. I've always kept the box out of the water.

It should work fine in Okinawa. You might want to try pirate's cove at White Beach if you have an id to get in. Pirate's cove is where they have all those campers for rent and the cabin up on the hill. White beach is where the navy vessels pull in to load supplies and marines.

What brings you to Okinawa? Air force or Marines?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread