Which one???

K

kestrel0222

Hi,

I am new to this forum and to metal detecting. I have never used a metal detector before but I am doing a lot of research in regards to the many different brands and trying to decide which one might be best for me, a beginner. I have a budget to hold to, that would be $250 - $300 max. I have found (3) detectors that fall into that price range. They are:

Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Fisher 1225-X

I would be using this detector on both fresh water beaches (dry sand) and public park areas. My interests are manly in coins and maybe jewelry.

I would like to know if any of these will fill that roll, if so, which would you recommend?

I am leaning toward the Garrett Ace 250 only because I have read so many good things about that particular piece of equipment. I have not found too much written about the other (2) detectors. Any information that you could give me would be a great help.

Thanks

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Most folks are going tell you to go for the Ace 250. The 1225X is kind of old technology and I know nothing about the BH you listed. I have heard a lot of good things about the ACE 250 and Garrett is a good name for detectors.

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Ditto. I'd say get the 250............should be able to get it for around $212.00..........I did, from Ron's Detectors, in Shelbyville, TN..........(shamless plug ;) ;) )

He's at ronsdetectors.com..........(don't know, can I put that here???)

Roger

Mods, remove, if I've erred in putting that info here.............

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Why not a Prizm from White's?

SO many people ask this question, "Which one is best?" Some beginners don't know what pinpointing, all-metal mode, or even discriminate means. That's why I would say that you need to research EACH machine at the maker's website. Compare each one with the different features that each one has to offer.

Once you're done doing that, go to your local dealer and demo them.

That's the best way your are going to get detector you'll like.

Ian

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
whites prisms are worth a look for sure. whites is a great company that stands behind their products. i personally don't like bounty hunter because i think their quality is sub par, but there are people that do like them. the fisher is also worth a good look, except that now they are owned by first Texas (bounty hunter) and i have heard horror stories about people trying to get their old warranties honored. if it were my money, i would get the ace 250. Garrett is also a great company that stands behind their stuff, and speaking from experience, the 250 is a great machine for the money.

OP
OP
K

kestrel0222

Thanks everyone for all your advise. It looks like the winner is..... the Ace 250!!!!!!!
Now all I have to do is get Santa to get me one for X-mas! :o

Thanks again

Kimber23539

Dec 6, 2006
Crestview, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I am new to MDing (even though I did it often as a kid - I just had no idea about which MD is better), and I have to say from the research I've done trying to find a good detector that is 'newbie friendly' and wouldn't break the bank, the Ace 250 is an excellent machine for the money. My Dad was wanting a White's Prizm III for when he's able to detect again (needs surgery on his leg), but I showed him the specs on the Ace 250 and I believe he may be rethinking his choice. I ordered two of the Ace 250s for my husband and I (for Christmas) and they got here yesterday. Took everything I had to keep from whipping mine out and taking a jaunt around the yard (I didn't...I was a good girl ;D - I just wrapped them both and put them under the tree).

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW Kimber!

I bet the anticipation is killing you!

Do you find yourself looking for old houses and lots while driving?

Hope your husband learns to enjoy the hobby as much as you do!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread