Which screens to use, 9 pan screen set

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which screen sizes do you use the most often?

I've been playing with grading sand/gravels (for a completely different hobby) and have all sorts of kitchen and office supply products to classify material. Problem is for the other hobby, I can't very well say what the $9.99 walmart strainer mesh's to. All I know is it is too small to classify any quantity of material and nearly impossible to dry classify anything through it.

So I was a tad tickled when Utopia tools summer flier came with a 5 piece set for $50 and 9 for $65.

These I'll be able to stack on a 5 gal bucket and strap to a vibration table and just dump material.

But for gold panning, I wouldn't think you'd take but a couple of these and certainly not the bottom 4, unless you need to turn coffee back into water.

1/2, 1/4, 1/8th?

Attachments

• xctmpO1i0v7.png
    xctmpO1i0v7.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 678
Upvote 0

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
4 mesh, 8 mesh, 30 mesh will cover most gold found in the US.

Davisdog

Jul 18, 2006
Spanaway, WA
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
For my river sluice (Keene A52), I classify to minus 8. I then classify the cons to minus 12 to run through my homemade cleanup sluice. After tweezing any bigger chunks, I classify the "super cons" through 40 and 120 mesh screens, then run each seperately through the blue bowl. When running my highbanker, I don't classify at all.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I classify everything that goes through my Jobe highbanker. I have the highbanker set up as a recirculator (for arid desert). #2 mesh into a bucket, then over to the unit. 4 mesh into the top of the Jobe. About 15/17 mesh (window screening) at the bottom of the sluice (above the tub). If I am going to "Blue Bowl" the sand, it first goes through a 50 mesh. Note: much of the gold that TimC and I get from Lynx Creek, near Prescott Valley, AZ, will show up on a 20 mesh classifier so BEWARE you might be throwing some gold OUT! If you have ever stayed at Stanton, AZ LDMA camp, you can SEE the western edge of the property GROWING! That is the years of highbanking sand being thrown out by the miners! Edit: I pay between 22.00 and 24.00 per classifier at the gold shop in Jamestown, CA. The green ones are better than the purple ones. If you buy the purple ones, for a few dollars less, put a size 4 or 6 sheetmetal screw right in the center, securing the screen to the plastic BEFORE it starts to come out from the steel (old style) retainer ring holding it in. Wouldn't hurt to put the screw into the newer plastic retainer also. TTC

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got them dirty last night. Couple pounds of Cody dirt and I used every screen. That was interesting, I should have taken pictures (that's ok, I have another bag to do so with). I wasn't happy with some of the screens where the screen didn't say on the support. Those seemed to gather the dirt. I went to A&B in mesa today and the $23 screens seem to have the same issue. I'm quite happy price wise.

One reason I went to A&B was I didn't even have a snuffer bottle so that's fixed.

With using every screen, there's so little material at most of the steps, I wasn't sure I was panning right. No 1/2" nuggets though :(

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I got them dirty last night. Couple pounds of Cody dirt and I used every screen. That was interesting, I should have taken pictures (that's ok, I have another bag to do so with). I wasn't happy with some of the screens where the screen didn't say on the support. Those seemed to gather the dirt. I went to A&B in mesa today and the $23 screens seem to have the same issue. I'm quite happy price wise.

One reason I went to A&B was I didn't even have a snuffer bottle so that's fixed.

With using every screen, there's so little material at most of the steps, I wasn't sure I was panning right. No 1/2" nuggets though :(
I've bought from Cody. He has a good product for the money. TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!No,there probably wasnt any 1/2 inch nuggies in there.As I said....I pick out the BIG gold....1/2" size is considered jewelry grade by one of my buyers and I get near double spot.You cant say there was no clinkers in there though?

OP
OP
J

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!No,there probably wasnt any 1/2 inch nuggies in there.As I said....I pick out the BIG gold....1/2" size is considered jewelry grade by one of my buyers and I get near double spot.You cant say there was no clinkers in there though?
That thunk sure makes you giggle like a little school girl,.. doesn't it?

Photos didn't turn out so well and didn't think to throw something in for scale. I'll do that next time.

IMG_1657.jpg

That's not the whole 1lb, just off one of the screens.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That thunk sure makes you giggle like a little school girl,.. doesn't it?

Photos didn't turn out so well and didn't think to throw something in for scale. I'll do that next time.

View attachment 658208

That's not the whole 1lb, just off one of the screens.
Didn't have to throw anything in for scale, I think your finger will do! Nice color! Tnx. TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread