All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brand New Tesoro Sand Shark..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scrape up another $80.00

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a fantastic pulse induction unit that is light, easy to use, built like a tank, easy to pinpoint with, has a coil that is thin and doesn't float, and is plenty deep even with the 8" coil that makes it a dream to use in the water. It is the ONLY underwater detector with a lifetime warranty from the factory for the original owner, and will probably NEVER need service if maintained. NEVER, EVER buy a second-hand underwater metal detector unless you absolutely HAVE to.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I love, have used White's Metal Detectors for 35 years and continue to use them, I still think the best choice is the old (Blue) Minelab Excalibur 1000. I am pretty sure that they are rated to 200 feet while the White's are only 20 feet. If you a planning or must dive more than 20 feet to make a find, then getting the Excalibur is a no brainer!

Dang, I wish I could find an old (Blue) Minelab Excalibur 1000 in excellent condition that just came back from having a full servicing for around $500!!!

Frank

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never been to or hunted in Jersey but all I hear is that many of the beaches have I ron littered everywhere. The SS is built like a tank and will find deep targets, but not very pleasurable to use in iron infested sites. The Excal will null right thru the iron and find good targets. And before everyone jumps up and down, yes sometimes iron will mask a good target and to be 100% sure you have to dig it all, so if you a diehard, strong willed person with plenty of time, go with the 8" Sand Shark.
If your in an area with shipwreck artifacts like your bronze brass nail you posted, dig it all anyways. You never no what could turn up!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vikingblood

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to buy the excal and it does not work. It's been sitting there for two years now and has never been used. the rechargeable battery or the brand new still in the bag aa batter pack could not get the machine to turn on either Good thing I had him check it before I bought it I am dying to get back to that beach. Agghhh!! I could get the whites beach hunter brand new for 780 with tax. But I have had so many problems with whites machines and he has lots of refurbished salt water machines that have been refurbished by whites for less money But ya gotta wonder why so many needed to be refurbished.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to buy the excal and it does not work. It's been sitting there for two years now and has never been used. the rechargeable battery or the brand new still in the bag aa batter pack could not get the machine to turn on either Good thing I had him check it before I bought it I am dying to get back to that beach. Agghhh!! I could get the whites beach hunter brand new for 780 with tax. But I have had so many problems with whites machines and he has lots of refurbished salt water machines that have been refurbished by whites for less money But ya gotta wonder why so many needed to be refurbished.

The 8" SS IS $577 and lifetime warranty. I would buy it before anything used that may have a problem.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you are serious about shipwrecks and want a pulse detector, then THE choice for you in your price range is the Garrett Sea Hunter. It is far and away a better detector than the Sand Shark. It is not even close.

The Sea Hunter has interchangeable coils, removeable headphones, a battery compartment completely separate form the electronics and, perhaps most importantly, the coil can be moved VERY slowly in standard mode. It's depth is at least as good as the Sand Shark's.

The Sea Hunter also has an adjustable pulse delay that can be used to knock out shallow surface trash.

Mel Fisher's group still uses the Garrett Sea Hunter.

The Sand Shark has a fixed pulse delay, hard-wired headphones, a hard wired coil and changing batteries in the field can be a real nightmare as the entire unit has to be opened up. It also detunes very quickly over the target which is a big draw back in low visibility conditions. It is an OK, beach machine, I suppose, but really it's only selling point is the lifetime warranty.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Did you ask him what the price would be as is?? Heck, I might buy it if the price is right and then send it in to Minelab for the repairs.

Frank

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are serious about shipwrecks and want a pulse detector, then THE choice for you in your price range is the Garrett Sea Hunter. It is far and away a better detector than the Sand Shark. It is not even close.

The Sea Hunter has interchangeable coils, removeable headphones, a battery compartment completely separate form the electronics and, perhaps most importantly, the coil can be moved VERY slowly in standard mode. It's depth is at least as good as the Sand Shark's.

The Sea Hunter also has an adjustable pulse delay that can be used to knock out shallow surface trash.

The Sand Shark has a fixed pulse delay, hard-wired headphones, a hard wired coil and changing batteries in the field can be a real nightmare as the entire unit has to be opened up. It also detunes very quickly over the target which is a big draw back in low visibility conditions. It is an OK, beach machine, I suppose, but really it's only selling point is the lifetime warranty.

I, disagree, and so do the vast majority of divers I know. The Sand Shark is a valued tool for many saltwater police and Coast Guard divers. Battery changes are only needed every 15-20 hours of use, so plenty of opportunities between dives. A pulse delay of 20us is preferred at depths below 5-feet anyway, so having a fixed delay is a red herring argument. The coil can be moved as slow or as fast as you want over the target - so again, a false argument. Know the facts, and you can disregard the hype.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I, disagree, and so do the vast majority of divers I know. The Sand Shark is a valued tool for many saltwater police and Coast Guard divers. Battery changes are only needed every 15-20 hours of use, so plenty of opportunities between dives. A pulse delay of 20us is preferred at depths below 5-feet anyway, so having a fixed delay is a red herring argument. The coil can be moved as slow or as fast as you want over the target - so again, a false argument. Know the facts, and you can disregard the hype.

LOL...I know the facts. I use a Garrett Sea Hunter as my back-up machine. I use an Aquapulse as my primary detector.
I owned a Sand Shark for several years.

Do tell, what happens to the threshold when you STOP moving the coil over a target with the Sand Shark???

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've used the Garrett Sea Hunter and the Sand Shark. The Sand Shark gets my vote as well. To each his own on preferences, but it's hard to beat a lifetime warranty. Tesoro has always delivered on my repairs, which have been few.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the Garrett Sea Hunter and the Sand Shark. The Sand Shark gets my vote as well. To each his own on preferences, but it's hard to beat a lifetime warranty. Tesoro has always delivered on my repairs, which have been few.

To each his own, for sure and I meant no offense. I am not a Garrett billboard or salesman.

For my part, I have been so content with the reliability of my Sea Hunter, the warranty has never been a concern. Everyone tells me that on the off chance something goes wrong with my unit, Garrett repairs are almost always under $100.00.

I like being able to change coils.
I like being able to use headphones or a bonephone.
I like being able to disconnect the coil and headphones for storage, cleaning and transport.
I like the battery compartment being separate from the main electronics.
I like the adjustable pulse delay.

Once again, it is all a matter of personal choice.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was you - I would use what you got and hammer that area every chance you get. Time and tide wait for no man, or anyone else. The machine you have been using is producing for you. Work the place over with your machine - save your money - then buy what you want. If you are finding "goodies" - get them while the getting is good.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
To each his own, for sure and I meant no offense. I am not a Garrett billboard or salesman.

Ha! No offense taken. I literally meant "to each his own." I respect your love for the Garrett, and any other's preference for Whites, Minelab, Bounty Hunter, etc. That's what this forum is all about - sharing ideas.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Disagree. Sand Shark has hardwired sealed connections, Garrett has jacks that will eventually leak. Maybe thats why you only get a 1 year warranty with the Garrett (lifetime with the Sand Shark). The only plus with the Garrett is its discrimination capability, which is basically useless to me because I dig everything. I also compared the two side-by-side on the beach - Sand Shark goes much deeper (silver dime, wet sand, Sea Hunter 4", Sand Shark 12").

OP
OP
Vikingblood

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice set up and thanks for the help. Now my choice is between an excal II for 600 with the big coil, it's a little beat up but seems to work fine on dry land, or the older blue excal with the small coil for for 725. I'm a little worried about the small coil since it won't cover as much ground. But the old blue excal was sent into Minelab last year to have a pot replaced and Minelab water tested it, and it has not been used since. I was gonna buy the old blue one yesterday but we could not get it to work, then this guy came in today and sold the excal II to the shop, so the shop owner hooked up the battery pack from the excal II to old blue and old blue worked fine. Beleive it or not the battery pack we used on old blue the other day when it would not work was brand new, I watched him unseal it from the Minelab factory packaging. Who could of ever thought it was bad, but it was. Old blue work worked fine when we hooked it up to the excal II battery pack. Any opinions on which one I should get would be greatly appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread