Which water detector do you reccomend?

archer48

Greenie
Nov 13, 2009
Boulogne Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500.. AT PRO
I live in N E Florida.....gots miles of beaches......dry sand, wet sand, able to get in the water...all easy digging. I also have some freshwater river sites which I believe are untouched and unsearched. Looking to get top of the line detector right off the bat........what do you reccomend for these situations.

What is difference in "regular" and "pulse" detector?

Thanks for your help

Phillip

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
archer48,

Welcome to TreasureNet....

What part of Florida are you in.....

Minelab Excalibur 1000 is what I recommend. It uses 17 different frequencies at the same time.

A pulse detector has no discrimination and will respond to every piece of metal in the water. That means you will be digging every bobby bin, fish hook and tiny piece of iron, and you will be digging deep, deep holes for them too.

There are some who swear by the pulse detectors, and I am not putting them down at all, there are great pulse detectors but all the time you spend digging tiny pieces of iron could be spent finding gold.......For very 10 people who buy an Excalibur you will find 9 happy owners, but there are a few who aren't.

I currently own 2 Minelab Excalibur 1000s, one is customized with the WOT coil on it, and another is a stock Excal 1000.......If you look you can find a good used Minelab Excalibur 1000 for $550-$650

Here are some reviews, you can also go to the Minelab forum here and read some more.
http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/23-1-excalibur1000.html

OP
OP
A

archer48

Greenie
Nov 13, 2009
Boulogne Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500.. AT PRO
For the time being I am on the Florida Georgia border on the St. Marys River but do frequent the beaches of Fernandina and Jacksonville....most of the time with a surf board. But have found some buttons from the 1700's and War of 1812 close to where I am. The St. Marys River has been used since the 1700's way back up here where I live. There a numerous "landings" used by sailing vessels back in the day and several river crossings used "way back then". Where do you look to find used Excal's at theat price....EBAY?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
archer48 said:
For the time being I am on the Florida Georgia border on the St. Marys River but do frequent the beaches of Fernandina and Jacksonville....most of the time with a surf board. But have found some buttons from the 1700's and War of 1812 close to where I am. The St. Marys River has been used since the 1700's way back up here where I live. There a numerous "landings" used by sailing vessels back in the day and several river crossings used "way back then". Where do you look to find used Excal's at theat price....EBAY?

You check the "for sale" board here and some of the other treasure sites, as well as checking Ebay and Craigslist......

If I can be of any assistance let me know..............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your Mail here..................

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used Pulse detectors and many of the Others from all the major manufacturers. I don't like digging deep holes for tiny bits of iron which pulse detectors seem to find real easy. The time spend digging these deep holes can be better spent sweeping for the gold rings and jewelry.

The Excal is my choice because of it's ability to respond to a gold ring with a large nail through it. It doesn't just Disc iron, it ignores it. If it would disc it out, many of the gold rings and other jewelry would also be disc out. It has a feature called Iron Mask that does this. The Excal is almost as deep as a pulse with the same size coil so you are not giving up that much depth. The time saved not digging small fish hooks, bobby pins, wire bread wrapping and such is made up for in increased gold finds.

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi, The Excal 1000 is a Good metal Detector, but one thing you guy forgot to say If It Break - you can not have it repair in the U.S. That my 2- cent ( coin finder) :hello:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin finder said:
Hi, The Excal 1000 is a Good metal Detector, but one thing you guy forgot to say If It Break - you can not have it repair in the U.S. That my 2- cent ( coin finder) :hello:

What do you mean can't get it repaired in U.S? :icon_scratch: Sorry, but your wrong, repairs are done in Las Vegas on MineLab products............. :headbang:

Excal is a great detector as well..... ;D

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
That is new to me about repair , I had one the excal 1000 had to send it out of the u.s. for my repairs it nice to know you can repair them in u.s. oop's coin finder

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
The excal is a great machine. I know many who use them and all love them! Including me!

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure love my dual field, but I really doubt if your the first one to detect up there... Sorry. But the DF goes deep if theres no trash... :thumbsup:

D

digum smacks

i hunt up there now and then,st augustine,jax vilano.i have a pi and a excal.up there i would recommend the excal,because there are tons and tons of iron that wash up along those shores,pi will drive you nuts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread