Which Whites machine for relics?

chopper

Aug 6, 2007
La Grange, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites
Which White's machine for relics?

I'm hunting primarily relics- C.W. bullets, buttons, and buckles. I have access to 85 acres and want a machine that I can cover a lot of ground with quickly. I also need the machine to be good at reading around nails if possible. Some of the soil is sandy, so depth is another factor. I don't have but a few months experience but I hunt daily and am willing to learn the more complex machine if it will do a better job. For those that have used the DFX, XLT, MXT, or another, which would likely best meet my needs? Thanks!

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Which White's machine for relics?

MXTwould be a good versatile machine. My Dad has a DFX and I was a little underwhelmed with how much you had to play with that machine to get optimum results. The MXT is simpler and has three modes for Coins/Jewelry, Relics, and Prospecting and works well in even heavily mineralized soils. The only complaint most people have is that it can be a noisy machine. Personally, I don't find that to be a problem in the moderately to heavily mineralized ground we have, but I like to run with the threshold where I can hear it and listen for those deep signals. You know the Tesoro Tejon would probably be a good choice where you're going to swinging for long periods of time. The Tejon is a sound only machine, but its great with seperating out iron and is less expensive than a new MXT. Just some things to think about. The best relic hunter I know in our area of N. Alabama uses a Tejon and wore one out and the factory replaced it for free. I like Whites, but I also like Tesoro as I have a Cibola.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Re: Which White's machine for relics?

Canewrap said:
MXTwould be a good versatile machine. My Dad has a DFX and I was a little underwhelmed with how much you had to play with that machine to get optimum results. The MXT is simpler and has three modes for Coins/Jewelry, Relics, and Prospecting and works well in even heavily mineralized soils. The only complaint most people have is that it can be a noisy machine.

I was a White's dealer for 10 years and they are all good machines, I sold many of each type. :)

XLT is super for finding and IDing COINS. ;)

DFX is a good all around machine, but as mentioned above has a learning curve. ???

MXT is probably your best bet 8) of these three for a turn on and go relic machine.
I personally didn't like the noise. It kinda reminded me of something you would turn on to chase insects and rodents from your house. It just made a shiver constantly run up my spine. It did however locate lots of good CW relics in it's limited use reserve role. :-\

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
Burt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread