Which would you buy and why?

• Thread starter michigan michael
  • Start date
M

michigan michael

I had some bad luck as I posted earlier. I need a new detector now. I don't have a lot of money to sink into a new one so, I am torn between a Fisher F2 or an ACE 250. Which would you choose and why? Please let me know if you have any other suggestions as well. Everyone's opinion is really appreciated. Thanks for everyone's help in advance.
Thanks,
MM

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Tesoro Silver uMax.
Reason?
Superior performance than the other two mentioned.
Lightweight and effective, interchangeable coils.
Perhaps a little bit less expense.

And of course, lifetime warranty.

Good luck
rmptr

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
THIS IS WHAT I'M THINK'IN,

SOMETHING IN THE LINE OF A ( CLASSIC ).1, 2, 3, ID. IDX, IDX-PRO,
PRICES FROM $ 100.00 TO $ 399.00

JUST A THOUGHT

M L HUDSON

Attachments

• CASYM6SD.jpg
    CASYM6SD.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 239

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I think my vote would be the Tesoro Umax as well for the lifetime warranty and its abilities to hunt parks, relics and dry beach. There is a good following of people not only for the brand, but the silver Umax as well. Although it does not have a pin point button, it is easy to see where to dig. Good luck.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also choose the Silver Umax over the ones you mentioned, and for a little more the Cibola.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with l.cutler,

The Cibola will cost about $110 more than the Silver umax but has the new H.O.T. circuitry (same as the more expensive Tejon) which makes it a great value! Believe me it is a monster! Check out the reviews online.

Rick

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

OK you all have my curiosity now! I am sure you heard this before but, I always looked the other way on these Tejons because the lack of a digital screen. Do you even miss the fact of not having a screen? Just a newbie question.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use a target ID detector and not only don't I miss it, I don't want it. I found myself believing everything the detector told me and missed a lot of good stuff. Target ID detectors are fine if you use them as another aid in identifying your target, but just don't rely solely on what the detector tells you. I just prefer not to bother with it, many people prefer them. No one is right or wrong, everyone just has there own preferences.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I feel it is like one shooting an semi automatic gun vs. a single shot / revolver. It's mostly in the mind, but one tends to just shoot the semi auto's figuring they have the fire power and with the single shot / revolver, one tends to concentrate more and really learn what they are doing as they cannot send alot of rounds down field. (This is my own experience.)

I have found that to be true with a screen (semi auto) and without (single shot / revolver) I tend to concentrate more and really learn the detector. I find that if I ignore the screen on my DFX and decide to dig prior to looking at the screen, I do better and have found some nice finds that I may have counted as junk prior to doing this. I will look at the screen at times for reference and trying to match my gut feeling to what the screen says.

Learning whatever detector you end up with is key anyway. I depended to much on the screen at first. I find great finds without a screened unit and dig just as much junk. An example; I had a bottle cap reading on the DFX, but my gut said dig due to the location, it was a thin silver ring. Sometimes the good stuff is in the bad screen readings and vise versa. Just my opinion, I think hunting without a screen really hones ones concentration and you will not find any less than someone with a screen once you learn your detector.

Also, without the screen, I think you get a little more machine for the money, especially in this price range. I am no pro, but mostly self taught, so these are my opinions and experiences. Good luck!

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried a white's, a garrett, and a fisher; all with target id. And i'm stuck on Tesoro.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I miss the screen sometimes I felt it would help prevent from digging so many cans and pulltabs BUT I hunt mainly CW relics and a button rings up as a pulltab on a whites and lead is not far behind. I have a tesaro cibola now and swear by it, it is by far the best relic machine I have ever owned. It all depends on what you are looking for, garretts are nice but most are heavy except the 250, whites are nice most are reasonably light until you get over the $700 range, but all tesoro's are light and reasonably inexpensive. I have owned a garrett, whites and a tesoro. If I had to pick it would be either a whites prizm 5, 6T, or another tesoro. Good luck in your quest on a new machine.

Cw
www.wedigdixie.com

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd seriously consider the Silver Umax. I have a hand full of detectors including 2 that have displays. I originally got started with beep and dig machines, without displays, and am glad I did. As someone mentioned, you can rely too much on the display. I listen to the target response in my headphones and turn to the display as the last move in deciding to dig or not. I've come to know the sounds of my ID machines well enough that the display just re-enforces what the audio response indicates to me. By careful thumbing of the discrimination knob one can learn to identify with pretty good accuracy as to whether a target is likely to be trash or a possible keeper. The only 100% sure way of knowing a target is to dig it. That's why those that dig everything find more rings and jewelry along with all the pull tabs and bottle caps they turn up. My two bits.
Bill

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Between the 2, I'd go with the Ace 250. Look in Annual finds and look for Crackbadger's name, He uses the ace 250

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread