While picking up brass the other day.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take my dogs out for a run in the wilderness and do some rock hounding and picture taking. I recently looked down and found a piece of quartz the size of a gold ball. I have not seen quartz here anywhere in several years of hunting so I was excited to find some.

I looked most of the day today and did not find anymore quartz so now I will be doing a cloverleaf pattern over the next few weeks as I need to know where this quartz came from.

As I took a few pictures I noticed some odd things that I keep finding. The rocks appear to have been carved. I have statues of a witch, a elephant, and a eagle. I have a pick carved into one rock. I also have a flat rock so shiny you can see it miles away. Looking up the slope I seen a few holes in some rocks that appeared to be very deep. So as I look for the quartz I will be getting some more photos.

Anyway, here is two pictures. Some people just see rocks. The camera did not do a good job, but my bino's did.

elephantsouth.jpg
pick2.jpg

I apologize in advance if the pics are too small.

Upvote 1

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That IS weird. The elephant is especially prominent. May be "matrixing", but I see it as well.

Slowwalker

May 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The carving on the stack looks like it may be a small door. Could be hollowed out...

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to work the area a lil more before I go looking for hollowed out areas. By nature or design there is many.

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if it's a case of pareidolia, that elephant is pretty cool! You could submit it as "Elephant Rock" to a local geologist and thus get it named. And it's sure possible there is some human contribution to that or in the recesses. Good luck solving that mystery and finding the source of that oddly placed quartz!

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is actually a line of elephants, in different media in a straight line............god is playing a joke on me lol.

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
That's pretty cool! Cant wait to see the other pictures thanks for sharing

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just your mind trying to make sense from random lines. It's no different than finding shapes in clouds.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While there are those who call some cloud watchers. I can assure you the pictures I show do lead to something. While I dont find gold and silver, as it is illegal to recover it in my state. I do find evidence that people once inhabited the wilderness areas I photograph. They must have had a lot of time on their hinds to carve in rocks. Because a civilization is dead, does not mean it did not exist. So if you dont believe, thats ok. Just share why you think so instead of making a point without backing it up.

I consider most of the areas I photograph areas of importance to some older peoples. I am not a learned person so dont plan to bore anyone with paragraphs of something I copied and did not write myself.

Just enjoy the pictures guys and if you can help with the hunt, please share your thoughts.

I do believe if I locate the source of the quartz I will find yet another abandoned mine. Its very possible this dry wash was used as part of a trail system and fell off a pack mule. Since lava tubes exist, I am very excited about a quartz vien if found. Many heavy metals have been mined and found all the Mountain Ranges that surround where I live.

I like to share how I follow trails. I was taught by some very experienced folks over the last few years. The proof is in the pudding. People are still making finds using the trail system left by others. Im pretty sure most campsites I found where shared by many peoples over the years. The fact that so little remains and more is being destroyed everyday is a sad thing.

I hope people take pictures and do not remove or damage any trail markers.

bblaha, what kind of pictures would you like to see? I do have favorites. Owls, hearts, and long faces or godheads. How about a mural?

The two pictures of the Priest and what I call a map rock are great examples of some of the different types of sign I consider to be out there. There is light and dark signs here, a lion with two heads, one head being a lamb. There is also a large miner carving, a woman standing looking down, and even the tell tale yellow spot meaning danger.

Two things I would like to add here. One, you are seeing a opticle illusion as all these signs are very far apart. Second, you have to figure out the best time of day and the spot to stand in to get these shots.

Everyone will see different things. Since I have found the mine, and a few other notable places, Theres not much to be found here. But its a good example of what I like to look for. There is a lot going on here, too much to try to explain in one post.

I invite any and all comments. I especially would like to get a Archeologist involved to maybe get the site protected.

I have thousands of pictures from many sites. You either believe or you dont. I encourage anyone in Southern New Mexico who is interested in this stuff to feel free to contact me.

These pictures have been shared before by me. If there is a interest, I will be glad to post what I feel are signs. I wont make comment on any definitions as that usually ruins the post. If you see rocks, just say you see rocks please. My wife tells me that all the time.

Attachments

• Map rock.jpg
    Map rock.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Priest.jpg
    Priest.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 129

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a world of difference between a populace living in the area at one time, and an ancient people carving elephants, eagles, or witches (????) from the rock. I have spent a LOT of time throughout NM. I know that land is covered with the artwork of the native indians who used to live there. That still doesn't mean that a dark mineral intrusion in rock is a sign of treasure, or anything else.

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda looks like the rock has been worn down from the pic with the lady looking down to the left of the man walkin. Perhaps people walked up and down the area in some sort of ritual or prayer.

Most interested in your pics and please post more..too cool...

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While there are always armchair experts like Jason who dont post pictures. I average 300 pictures a hour when I am out. My eyes on a good day miss a good third of signs that are out there. Also Indians did not make signs. While you will find artwork describing a village or scene. They had no use for a trail sign. Most mining by the Indians was done in open pits. Not for trade or gold, but for ornamental and religious purposes. Not counting when they were enslaved by the Spanish.

I focus on the stuff in rocks as there is not much left to be found that survived the years or environment. Sometimes I may find old brass but so far no Pancho Villa stuff.

Thank you very much hawgwild as the area is flat and I believe may have some more clues for me should I ever get there. Now the weather has cooled, I will be getting out every week and taking pictures. Im about 50 years too late for this area as it has been pounded. What they couldn't take, they blew up. But there is plenty of dark mineral intrusion out there to be seen. Some things you dont see here is me doing research at the library, testing the soil, and verifying what I can through public records. Public records can confirm there was a working mine here, what was found, what it looked like, and how much.

Guy I really love this stuff and dont see me stopping anytime soon.

As for the pick. Its a monument. I never find anything around a monument. What I do is find the other pick and search along that line. I usually find a dry hole. Not rocket science, no math involved. The elephant is also a monument, and I have found the other elephant. I have found no hole at all. Usually I have to climb these monuments to get more clues. Clues can be in many forms. I dont know the big words for em, but pretty sure Jason is gonna follow me to the end of the world. This is not a gold area. So I just worked the sign and moved on. I have a new post of owls you may enjoy. Now just because the camera did not pick it up, doesnt mean I cant see the sign. I have plenty that would just make Jason so happy.

My next trip out that way, Ill try to get some working pics of what signs went with these, and show you better what I mean. I dont read many treasure books, and I make up my own words sometime. But I usually know what I am going to find when I go looking. I dont dig as Im moving too fast. Im more concerned about getting home and see what my pictures hold. Believe it or not, I get asked to not post so much. In this hobby its about reputation and respect. You gotta pay your dues, and its a learning experience everyday. I know my first two years of post were off the charts, I usually had some expert feeding me his insanity lol. I know there is people out there that want to do this. I hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions