johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father-in-law found this jug in a cabin in New Mexico in the 50's. Have been trying to find out some info on it but have been unsuccessful. There is a small handle on the other side of the jug up high just below the cork. No markings on the bottom. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Image001 (Small).JPG
    Image001 (Small).JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 579

Sterling

Jan 24, 2012
central, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this. http://www.etsy.com/listing/81268507/vintage-whisky-jug-the-western-potteryAmazing 2 Gallon Stoneware whisky jug in awesome condition. What a terrific piece of history to use as a decorative item in your home.

The top and handle are a rich chocolate brown with the glaze fading down to a lighter brown. The body is a taupey color and is marked in a dark blue with "The Western Pottery Co Made in Denver"

Western Pottery was located in the Capital Hill section of Denver on W16th and Olcott and was in business between 1908 and 1938. (Info thanks to the Colorado Historical Society). If you take a look at my last picture, it is a newspaper ad for the company and is from the Fort Collins Courier (Fort Collins, Larimer County); Date: Oct 31, 1921; Section: None; Page: 9. I have also included the link to the web page since my pic is not showing the date on the header. (http://www.coloradohistoricnewspape...1921/10/31&ChunkNum=-1&ID=Ad00900&PageLabel=9)

I picked this jug up at a picker?s estate sale in Morrison, CO. The property was a 1920's log home complete with falling down barn, chicken coop and 9 other out buildings. The owners had been in the home since the 1940's and the place was just a wealth of tools and this one perfect jug.

Condition is excellent with no cracks and only one chip on the back bottom of the piece (see pic 3). The handle and spout have absolutely no damage.
Shipping will be via FedEx

Shipping rates are based on the farthest shipping point from my location in Colorado for the 48 contiguous United States only.

If you will convo me with your Zip Code, I can provide a shipping cost to your specific location.

If you wish to ship outside the 48 contiguous United States, please convo me and I will supply a quote.

Please be sure to read my Shop Policies before ordering and don't hesitate to Convo me with any questions.

Thank you for looking :)

Diana at Violet Hill Vintage

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions