Whispers

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Optic, unfortunately there is no way to answer a question like this in print. A "sound" can not be described in printed text. It has to be heard. It would be like "please describe what the musical note of C minor sounds like in print". It can't be done. And there's also things like swing speed, repeatability, etc... As an example, when I first got the Explorer (which is a mess of tooty-fluty tones), I hated it. I repeatedly went to an expert user of this machine (who was routinely pulling silver from the turf at up to 10") and asked all sorts of emailed questions. But every time I went out in the field, everythings sounds the same, so I go back to to emailing experts and asking what deep silver sounds like, etc.... FINALLY I went out hunting with this skilled user friend and asked him to flag a few suspected deep high conductors. Once he did, and once I saw how he swung, wiggled, etc.. and heard the sound he was isolating, only THEN did the lights go on for me.

If you don't have an expert user of the DFX in your area to trade off signals with, then the only other way is to dig hundreds of signals and go by the school of hard knocks.

PS: by "expert user", I mean, find out who's really bringing the deepies and oldies in your area. Not a sandbox clad hunter. And even if they don't have your brand and type of machine, they can still flag signals with their machine, and tell you why they do, or don't, like various signals.

Duane B

Sep 24, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Fisher CZ5
I've never used a DFX, but I would think that if you're getting a faint audio signal then you have a "whisper". And yes, it could be a good target that is very deep!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions