Apr 27, 2016
Western MA
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75 LTD
Whites TRX Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

First post here, I have a question about my pin pointer, I'm in the NorthEast and find that if I dig a hole more than, say 10 inches, the pin pointer seems to give a false signal, or at least I think it's false, I'm not digging much further than that because I think it's the change in soil or something at that depth that's causing the signal.

Is this likely? Just curious if others are experiencing this, or if I should just get a shovel and keep digging to see what these things are. Eventually I usually stop digging as I the signal seems to stay the same, but I'm not finding anything.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You only have to dig one to see if your right or not. Does the beep get faster or go to a steady tone when your getting closer to the mystery target? Even if it's a huge target the TRX will only pick up a signal less than 6" so you won't need to dig too deep. Also make sure it's not in the side of the hole and you are passing it up.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you get the signal on your base detector and you locate the dig area. If you raise the coil up a few inches and you still have that same strong signal that probably means you are over something that is large. Another thought is maybe your soil is bad and you are actually reading the soil rather than a target. The TRX will sound off sometimes when you first start to use it in the hole. Just touch the button once when that happens and then continue your search. The pin pointer should be quiet until you are close to what ever target item is there and then the proximity feature will speed up the noise to let you know where it is at.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Sensitivity too high?

Ground balancing?

You could always ratchet down when getting deeper. Somtimes trash is just beyond the sidewalls and will cause the apparent falsing you describe.

OP
OP
S

shaunlaf

Apr 27, 2016
Western MA
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75 LTD
Whites TRX Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are great points. I did do a test dig and hasn't happened, so I think the trash scenario is the most likely, or the item is deeper than I'm digging. The pointer will give the strong fast beeps that says I'm right on it... but it keeps doing that the further I go.

More practice needed I guess.

I like the trick of lifting the coil up... I'm going to try that.

Thanks for all your help.. once I find something worth posting I'll put it up on here.. this is a great community on here.

Happy hunting all!

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's a slow tapping sound... it's big and deep, not worth continuing for unless you're relic hunting

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same thing happen twice today. I kept going until I found it. I had a gut feeling it was a soda can and it was. It was at 11" when I finally found it. My detector had a very clear quarter signal that showed it was about 6" - 8" deep but at 11" it was the can.

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might have missed the target as others have mentioned and it's in the side wall. Could be the other side of the TRX coil picking up the signal - which is about midway up the shaft. I use mine as if it were a flashlight with a very direct beam. It doesn't really detect the same way as my Garrett.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same thing happen twice today. I kept going until I found it. I had a gut feeling it was a soda can and it was. It was at 11" when I finally found it. My detector had a very clear quarter signal that showed it was about 6" - 8" deep but at 11" it was the can.

I've learned the hard way to abandon the target when this situation comes up. Detector thinks it's a good signal but then I dig and dig and nothing. When I have persisted, it has usually been a can or other large piece of junk. This can happen a lot in trashy areas, especially if there is a lot of "old trash", i.e., cans and other large junk way down deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread