Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: White's 5000 /D GEB

I know that you can get an 8AA battery pack w/9v battery connector at Radio Shack for a couple bucks. This is what you are supposed to use.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Had a 5500 D for years, think it is very similar...LOVED IT.......Found many coins back in the day, many pull tabs, and pencil eraser parts too...It was Stolen out of my car one day..I knew that detector so well, that just by the sound, i could tell most of the time what it was...Not always tho, are I would not have had about a million pull tabs lol....I seem to remember mine taking "C" cells tho, in a plastic case that went in the end of the control housing, thought it ran on 6 volts, but I could be wrong...Find out first, as you do not want to damage the elcetronics...BTW, the older units pulled more current,than the newer units and would probably kill a 9 volt pretty quick..I do remember mine LOVED fressh batterys....

rcawdor57

Jul 17, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Cortes, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer SE

;D I have the Sears version of the Whites 5000 TR and it takes BOTH a 8 AA pack AND a 6 AA pack. So 12 volts and 9 volts are needed to run this baby. I don't know if yours is the same but it may be. How many battery connectors are there in the case? Mine has two, one white and one black. I forget which is for what voltage but it is easy to find out when you connect the connectors. Mine also has a single AA holder for testing the batteries one at a time, pretty neat for an old detector. Whites still supports this model and the 6 AA battery holder is $3.95 from them. Order spares and keep them since they do break every once in a while! Great detector!

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To be honest my old Whites went as deep as any of the 3 I have now, and as deep as my Grand master cxII, pretty damn good for an oldie...

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have the 6000d series 2 and it takes 2 battery packs. One with 6 AA and the other 8 AA.

I'm assuming (you know what assuming does), that one pack, probably the 8 pack powers the coil, and the other powers the circuitry.

To answer your basic question, the more current you put through a coil, the greater the magnetic field. More batteries, more power. A greater field=more depth.
Al

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois

I looked up the manual for the 5000D/GEB and it uses one 12v battery pack. Most Whites have a voltage regulator so I'm not sure what the 5000 is regulated to. My MXT runs a 12v pack but runs well down to 8v.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,421

rcawdor57

Jul 17, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Cortes, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer SE

:o I don't know why I didn't think of this till now but...on the top right switch on my 5000 TR it has four positions: Far left is OFF, next over is test of 9Volt battery pack and then the next over is test of the 12Volt battery pack. Far right switch position is ON. Read the switch positions and see what is there. Too simple and I feel dumb for not thinking of this till now. LOL. I used my 5000 TR this past week on a trip to Alabama. My sister is now the happy owner of my Sears/Whites 5000 TR. We hunted an old farm by her house for about four hours and found a lot of interesting items but no coins or jewelry. She hit on a solid signal and I checked it with my SovGT and it was LOUD. We dug down about two feet and found a brick laying flat. We removed the brick and there was a hole under it. Turned out to be a large iron pipe stuck in the ground vertically with the brick on top to keep the dirt out. My guess is there is something in the pipe but we couldn't dig up the back yard to find out. After an hour or so of trying to get the dirt out of the pipe with our trowels we gave up and put the brick back in place and buried it. It is not a septic tank or anything like that since this house was built around 1900. The sewage system is a net of underground pipes that drain all the icky stuff into the ground in a nearby field. SO...who knows what we left behind? I sure wanted to dig it up but I doubt the landowners would have appreciated it. Maybe next time? Anyway, the 5000 is an excellent machine and screams when it hits a target. Discriminates well and I would guess the depth of detection for a dime sized object at around 6 inches. All in all an excellent machine!

czndvet

Oct 17, 2007
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 5, old Fisher 1260x

A friend of mine has the Sears version of the 5000D, I believe it is. Does anyone know of anywhere in central Alabama you can get repairs done on one of those. I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks

OP
OP
HotRodder

HotRodder

Nov 14, 2006
Detector(s) used
White 5000/D CoinMaster GEB/TR Disc.

The clevis rod that hooks the coil to the rod on this 5000D has a brass screw that holds the two together and I am wondering if this is supposed to be. This is fairly close to the coil on the top side so would this interfer or cause a signal from it. How about the rest of you guys, what holds your shaft and coil together ?????
Thanks for all the comments guys on my Whites 5000 GEB Coinmaster. I just ordered the new clevis rod and kit for $6.95 from White's so the parts are there for the older machines.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HotRodder said:
The clevis rod that hooks the coil to the rod on this 5000D has a brass screw that holds the two together and I am wondering if this is supposed to be. This is fairly close to the coil on the top side so would this interfer or cause a signal from it. How about the rest of you guys, what holds your shaft and coil together ?????
Thanks for all the comments guys on my Whites 5000 GEB Coinmaster. I just ordered the new clevis rod and kit for $6.95 from White's so the parts are there for the older machines.

As long as the screw is stationary to the coil, it will not be a problem.....It is actually part of the electromatic field....(not sure I spelled any of that right) and will not be a problem...If it were to move, in regards to the coil, then it would not be good.......BTW, mine did use c cells in a holder that was plugged in kinda.........6 c cells, I think...It was a great detector, and I found alot of goodies with it, as a matter of fact, more than my higher dollar newer units....Gota say tho, my Ace is SO much lighter than that thing was......It liked the battery's too....It would suck em down....I even thought of a separate D cell pack for it..............Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread