Jun 14, 2007
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER SE-- B.H LEGACY 3300 WITH 11 INCH DD COIL
Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they make a 5500d ? Tried the 5000 and 6000d models.The only 5500 we got over here was the Magnascanner.
The 5000d was a revised series 2 (that was a best seller in its time). A bigger meter was fitted at the end of the handle rather than on the control box where it was not as visable.
Balance was improved. I think this was when they added 'preset' marks to allow a more switch on and go experience for the beginer.
The tone response was increased which improved performance at depth.

How does it compare with todays detectors ? Battery life is not as good, nor is weight or balance.
On the plus side you should have adjustable ground cancellation, and 4 modes, GEB/Norm,GEB/Disc,TR/Disc and GEB/Max.
This makes it more versatile than most modern mid/lower range machines and the only drawback is that the ground cancelling/discriminating mode requires a far faster sweep speed than with todays motion machines.
You also lack the I.D. function of the 6000 Di but as with modern machines its a probablity meter so something that you may do better living without.

More effort is needed on your part than with the latest switch on and go detectors but you should more than keep up with the cheaper modern machines and the GEB and GEB Max will be far deeper.
TR/Disc suffers from ground mineralisation but if set to around cutting out silver paper will balance out the effects of salt on the beach where many single frequency machines can't cope.

So not obsolete at all. If the weight is O.K. for you and your prepared to do a little more work ie detecting in the deeper ground balance modes then switching to discrim. to check out the target you should be more than keeping up with machines at ten times the price.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had one, and loved it...I found more coins and jewerly with it than with any of my 3 newer units..sadly it was stolen out of my car........

BTW, the meter reads the same as the 6000, but without the ID'ing labels on it..In other words a penny will read the same (or close to it on both machines).You got a great deal for 20 bucks...Dont worry about it, just get out, and use it...Tom

Slim_Pickins

Feb 26, 2014
Lincoln Park, Mi
Detector(s) used
I have 2 white's coinmasters and 1 Garrett ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have mine too. IMHO it is still a good option for coin hunting.
Btw I need the operating freq info so I can find a smaller coil for mine.
Any help is appreciated.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That detector has a propensity to clean house on silver dimes!!

TonyL.

Jan 24, 2015
Buford, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 5500/D series 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, JJS, I just bought a 5500 series 3 also, and I'm probably newer than you at metal detecting. ( Today was my first day). I did a lot of research and for me to be able to afford a machine with the features I wanted, I went with this one for under 100.00. You did get a great deal on yours. I managed to find 2 crushed vintage beer cans and a vintage rusty nail, all at around 5". It was a good day!!

Attachments

• 0125151354.jpg
    0125151354.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 151

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
JJS, that was good for its era (late 1980s, to early 1990s). But answer your question: it is a bit ... uh ... "dated" by today's standards. There are machine that will spank it on depth, target separation, disc, etc...

But if you have prolific sites, that haven't been competitively pounded by today's top notch machines/hunters, then yes, it'll still work.

Is yours a black box? Or a blue box ? I believe the 5500 was similar to the 6000, except that the difference was: the 5500 lacked auto-track GB, while the 6000 had auto-track GB.

If you're in an area where auto ground balance isn't an issue (and can just merely re-balance from time to time), and if yours is the black-box later version, then .... yes ..... it's still a decent machine. I know guys that ...... to this day ..... refuse to give up their 6000 Di pro's. And if yours is a black- box, then yours would be a close-cousin to that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread