Whites 6000 ds Metal detector at Garage Sale..good find?

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all Im still new to the hobby, was out garage saling and found a whites 6000 ds, they wanted $25 I got it for $15 came in a nice blue whites case with 2 coils and headphones.. Is this a good find? I was thinking of reselling it as I have a new Tesoro I am using.. Does anyone know the value of it? pics upon request and thanks!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There were multiple evolutions of the 6000d, over the years. So it would depend on which one you have. When you say it came with a "Blue case", do you mean that the detector itself was blue? (as in, the box part), or did you mean that the carrying case (ie.: suitcase enclosure) was blue?

If you meant that the detector itself was blue (as opposed to black), then you have one of the earlier incarnations of the 6000. Eg.: the original (1978-ish) 6000d, or the followup 6000 di, or one of their early tid 6000's, etc.... In my opinion, only the last incarnation is any good, and/or still competitive: The 6000 Di pro (which would have a black box, with the 950 loop with a hole in the loop). The earlier 6000's were ground-breaking for their time, but are sort of dated now (lack depth, require super fast sweep speed, etc....)

As for the value, you never know. You can check ebay and see what the similar ones have sold for lately, because as you know, people sometimes bid up even dinasours there. And then other times, good ones don't even get bids. So, you never know.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super find!! Congrats!

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I was into metal detecting, I bought and sold several detectors, including a 6000 DL si Pro, and, if I recall rightly, a few years earlier a 5900. I sold the 6000 for $450 on ebay, and I'm sure I paid less than $25 for it. Actually, it was testing out these units that slowly got me into the hobby. My second to last yard sale purchase was an ACE 250, and I decided I wasn't going to sell that one. I had to have a machine for myself. (Sold a bounty hunter since then).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread