Whites as Relic Hunter?

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a question for my fellow relic hunters. I have been relic hunting for quite some time but have never used a Whites machine always used Nautilus, Fisher, and Tesoro. For those who are familiar with both the MXT and Excelerator coils....I need some feedback on if an MXT with a 12.5 Excelerator coil would make a good machine for what we do. Understand it has a nice brisk sweep speed as well. Feedback appreciated.

Sentinel

Last edited:

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know several relic hunters that use the MXT. I have found most of my good relics with the XLT. I believe the MXT is basically the same as the XLT but with the more user friendly knobs. I think that setup you mentioned would be a very good relic machine. I too use a Tejon and a Nautilus but sometimes I like the info that the White's display gives me. HH!
Mike

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, I am very fimilar with Tesoro. They are good machines. I know b/c I just sold mine to get my Whites but definitely will get another one as a backup in the future. The Tejon and Cibola are great.

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
I use a MXT with the 9.5 coil but I ahve been using the super 12" coil and I really like the results I am getting. found a nice box plate 10-12" down. I like hunting in the relic mode, ground balance it and thne push the trigger forward and I am good to go!

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Aeromike, when you say push the trigger forward, are you locking the ground balance or are you taking it out of mixed mode? Also, I'm real interested in the results you're getting with the Super 12 coil. Some people have said they didn't think it was any better than the stock, but it sounds like you're doing fine. I'm in N. Bama, so my conditions are probably similiar to yours. Do you think that the S12 has more noise than the stock or about the same?

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
I've never tried a 12.5" Excellerator coil on an MXT but I have on my Sovereign. It only gets another inch or two over the stock 10" coil and the 12.5" Excell loses small stuff real easy, especially in discriminate. I've heard people say that a WOT works better than an Excellerator, on both Minelabs and White's.

Good luck.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not familiar with the WOT coils. What sizes can be used on a White's MXT and who sells them?

sarge relics

Greenie
Jul 27, 2005
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, w/6X10 DD
Here are a couple of pictures of one of my huntin buddies digging bullets at a before unheard of depth. I would estimate between 18"-20". There are four of us who use the MXT with the 6X10 DD coil. Please understand that when a bullet or other good target is at this depth, your machine probably will not discriminate with tones. You have to depend on the numbers on the display. When you pinpoint, you will get a reading of 12". Just look at the pics, I would not have believed it either. But, I was there, the pictures are real and unedited.

Attachments

• 7-7-07-4.jpg
    7-7-07-4.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 822
  • 7-7-07-3.jpg
    7-7-07-3.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 806

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted most all of my early Relic Hunting days with a Whites Spectrum SL and did quite well with it using a stock 9.5 inch coil and later using the after market Hot Head Coil which got me some extra depth. (I dug three ringers at depths similar to the pics in the post above with that old Hot Head Coil.) I also was using a Tesoro Toltec 80 and 100 in combination with my Whites which I will explain below. I still own the two Toltecs and use them regularly with great success.

I believe that the combination of the two types of Detectors was key to being as successful as I have been. I used the Spectrum first on all areas because I could hunt the area faster and it was really good at finding stuff at high speed. After I thought I had done a good job on an area with the Spectrum, I would then go back with my Tesoro and spend time with it going slower next to trees, in bushy areas, next to rocks and other obstacles. As you already know, the slow motion of the Tesoro allowed me to find things that were hidden next to obstacles and in trashy areas that I could not get that close to with the Whites. I often pulled small buttons, and bullets, etc., from tight places with the Tesoro. The Tesoro was good at looking into trashy areas and would often pull things out from between rusty nails, etc.

In conclusion, and I think most folks will agree, I believe that relic hunting is a lot like golf. You have to have different clubs for different shots to shoot a good score. With relic hunting, it has been my experience that multiple detectors with multiple coils was the only way to insure that I got everything that I could possibly get. I believe you will do well with a Whites for relic hunting with a mixture of coils but I would keep a slow or non-motion machine for close combat with trees and bushy areas not to mention trashy areas. Depth is a good thing now but don't forget that there are just as many targets hiding between trash and right next to trees, stumps and bushes too that you will miss if you are swinging a high speed machine through the woods!

I don't own a Whites anymore and have now acquired a Sovereign to add to my arsenal but only because I live here in Florida and I was looking for a good relic/beach machine. I am going to give it a good test this week by going back to one of my old civil war relic areas that I have personally covered hundreds of times to see what I can find if anything using all of the coils I have available to me at this time. The place was loaded before and I am sure there is some deeper stuff there.

Well I hope I have helped in some way but I believe you will be happy and successful with that Whites.

DaChief!

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I have hunted with Missouri John a couple times and he uses the MXT with a 12.5 Excelerator coil and loves this set-up. He is very proficient at finding CW bullets and relics at extreme depths. He has a nice collection of stuff and this (I believe) is his only detector.

Baldingboy

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ya'll WOW this is an OLD POST :D :D :D from back in July when I was deciding on another detector. I loved my Tesoro but have grown to be inseperable from my MXT with the 11x14 DD Excelerator coil. I am totally confidient in my decision in this detector and am glad that I decided on it. I wouldnt give it up for anything! ;) ;) ;) HH

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm confused, 11X14 DD coil? Do you mean the eliptical 10X14 or the circular 14"? I have an MXT as well and I'm looking for a larger coil that will give good depth on relics.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BamaBill said:
I'm confused, 11X14 DD coil? Do you mean the eliptical 10X14 or the circular 14"? I have an MXT as well and I'm looking for a larger coil that will give good depth on relics.

Sorry Bill, indeed it is suppose to be 10x14. I mistyped. It is the NEW Double D and yes it is eliptical. It is better in my opinion than the totally "Round" 14.5" coil BECAUSE the 10x14 DD fits into corners that the 14.5" does not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread