Whites Beach Hunter ID on Dry land

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
I recently started hunting on my local beach and am loving it. I am using the Whites Beach Hunter ID 300. I would like to do a little hunting in some local parks in nyc (I have the permit). I would rather not invest in another detector at this time. Have any of you used your beach detector on dry land with much success? The beach hunter has lights indicating iron, coins etc, so I would imagine it should be pretty effective.

Thoughts and experiences?

Thanks

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome TNet.
Yes of course any beach where was in the world, much good target. There and here is the gold.
happy detecting

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have occasionally used my water machine - Tiger Shark - for land hunting and for the most it's fine. Two issues to mention. One is weight of your machine, if you've been using it out of the water then you may not have an issue with its weight. Second is pinpointing - most land machines have some kind of a pinpointing function that helps narrow the target area. In the sand or water pinpointing is less important than in a park where you want to make the smallest hole possible, so if you expect to do some digging you'll want to practice pinpointing and get a hand pinpointer like aPro pointer

OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
SusanMN said:
I have occasionally used my water machine - Tiger Shark - for land hunting and for the most it's fine. Two issues to mention. One is weight of your machine, if you've been using it out of the water then you may not have an issue with its weight. Second is pinpointing - most land machines have some kind of a pinpointing function that helps narrow the target area. In the sand or water pinpointing is less important than in a park where you want to make the smallest hole possible, so if you expect to do some digging you'll want to practice pinpointing and get a hand pinpointer like aPro pointer

Thanks Susan. That is helpful. You are right about the weight of the machine. My arm does get tired using the heavy beach hunter. I'll try it for awhile and if I decide to go detecting on land often, I'll get another machine for that

knarf44

Sep 9, 2012
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Home brew digging tool, Garrett Pro Pointer
Rapoo H6020 wireless headset and TS-BT35F01 BT transmitter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a close look at the tiger shark. It looks to be hip mountable, that should take care of any weight issues. I for one would also like to know how they perform on land.

I really like my older toltec II as it' also hip mountable but I would like the waterproofing offered on the Tiger shark as I quite often hunt in the rain and the gravely saltwater beaches in my neck of the woods.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Whites beach hunter is belt mountable. That would take some weight off, as would a straight shaft will help too. You get better leverage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions