Whites DFX 300 vs. Explorer SE

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think they should be pretty close.

I own a DFX and looked very close at the Explorer before making my choice. I was told that, basically, the DFX is easier to use, and the Explorer goes an inch or two deeper. Now I have the new Super 12 which is the same coil used on the new DFX 300, and it does give an extra few inches. So, on paper I'd say they should be pretty close, depth wise, and the DFX still easier to use.

OP
OP
je177

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
Thanks for the info. I am thinking of going with the DFX 300. Will the standard DFX coil work on the 300 model? Any more info would be great. Thanx.

j

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should. The DFX 300 is basically the DFX with the Spider Super 12 coil and a new paint scheme. I bought a Super 12 for my DFX and it does give a few extra inches, but it sure doesn't like trashy areas.

I ordered a new Minelab SE Tuesday and hope it's here for the weekend. I guess now I'll be able to compare the 2 on a one to one basis, and decide which I think is better for my conditions.

In all my research comparing the DFX vs SE I think it comes down to personal preference. The DFX is easier to learn and use for casual hunting, and the SE is best if you take the time and go slow you get more depth. Now the Super 12 coil should even things out pretty well. I think the SE's strong point is because you must hunt slower(4 second swing recommended) you will get better depth. Actually hunting slow with any detector will give you better depth, but most people tend to move too fast.

In a nut shell: I you want to cover an area fast with great depth, then the DFX is for you. If you want maximum depth and don't mind taking your time, then the SE is probably your best bet.

OP
OP
je177

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
I can just call white's to confirm if the 300 is compatible with other DFX coils. That head to head comparison would be great. I'm really leaning toward the 300 now. The ease of use and ability to cover more ground with "great depth" being the deciding factors. I've done a bit of reasearch and want to make a good choice.
I currently have an Ace 250 with the larger coil. It's a great machine but I feel that I may be missing deeper targets. I feel that the DFX 300 will give me much better depth and a better idea of what I'm digging. Is this correct? It should for the money. Any thoughts?

J

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a little late, but!

The ACE 250 is a great detector for the price, but the DFX is without a doubt the deeper detector. I believe it's more sensitive to small targets, and has a much higher ID resolution. You can easily tell a silver dime from a clad.

My experience with the SE vs the DFX was pretty much just as expected. The SE has a slight advantage on very deep silver, and the DFX has an advantage on low conductive targets such as gold.

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how much will be difference in depth between DFX end Explorer II or SE on gold duggets of 1-2 gram?

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No experience on nugget hunting but my guess would be the DFX would be better. The DFX is very adjustable to meet any situation. The SE is deep but I've not seen it used much for nugget hunting.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never nugget hunted but i would think the DFX would be a lot better i have used a custom mixed mode program and found the smallest relics very deep i see no reason why it cant detect gold here is a picture of a very small and thin copper disk next to a penny i dug it was 10 inches deep Hope this helps Dd60

Attachments

• 100_0780.jpg
    100_0780.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,571
  • 100_0780.jpg
    100_0780.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,459

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread