Whites DFX--am I ready to purchase?

R

rocketrider

Hi everyone, I'm almost a complete newbie. Purchased a Prizm 3 and Bullseye 2 pinpointer in September and have logged about 100 hours. Up to $18.00 in clad, 3 old coins, some cool tokens (Hudson car '49 and Sunoco from the 60's) and LOTS of trash. When are you READY for a top-of-the-line? On aside note--I'm having loads of fun and love this site!

Thank you everyone for the input! I don't drop a grand on something every day of the week. The encouragement makes me feel more confident in my decision(DFX here I come!). This was my first post-I'm amazed at the response. I'll do my best to return the favor.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In general you get better finds with a better detector. How much too spend depends totally on you, how much you can afford. Most guys I know get a new detector every 3-5 years, some more often, some less. I have owned 4 detectors in the last 3 years and now have 2.

Ed D.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I'm with you!! I got my Bounty Hunter for Xmas - not expensive by any means - but perfect for a starter.
I have logged probably over 30 hrs just since New Years and I am finding things. $3.50 in clad, a silver ring, an old lock (that I need to figure out how to clean to see it well)... lots of trash too. Just hitting elem schools, a beach and the yard!

I wonder what I am missing out on by not having a fancy model. Who else can help us here? Tell us how you knew it was time to upgrade!

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stacylee926 said:
I wonder what I am missing out on by not having a fancy model. Who else can help us here? Tell us how you knew it was time to upgrade!

That all depends..if you're quite new at this, there's nothing wrong with what you have..it also depends where you look. I started with a White's Coinmaster II that I still use, paid $200 for it and it paid for itself 3X over, not including the jewelry, silver, etc. I've found.

Nat

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
If you love the hobby then anytime is a good time to upgrade. If you can afford to do it. The DFX is one of the best there is. I use one and do pretty good with it. Let me know if you need help with your purchase.
TonyinCT
www.tcmetaldetectors.com

Fatboy

Dec 28, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Id say that you are ready to use what you can afford. Wasnt that the advice given years ago, buy the best you can afford ?

HH

FB

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Rocket....Youll be ready as son as you find $950. more in clad...LOL....Joe

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
The DFX is a great machine. I bought my first in 1996, and it paid for itself (and several other detectors) many times over. You get what you pay for, and it is definitely worth the price.

I would suggest grabbing their 14DD coil after you get used to the machine. There is a thread elsewhere, a quote from the sandman, regarding top of the line machines, and time. My opinion is already stated there... but here it is again. Buy the absolute best detector you can afford. If you buy a cheaper one, you will either 1. get frustrated and put it down (which is a waste of time and money), or 2. It will break/you will upgrade to a better machine,at additional cost and put the old one in the closet. Not necessarily a problem, because a spare is always a good thing, but do the math...

If you buy a cheapo detector for $100 bucks, then go spend $250 for a garrett ACE 250, and never use the cheapo again... you just spent $350 for a $250 detector. Just buy the good one up front. Trust the experience here. If you don't, you will not be happy.

steve
ps... check out www.dfxonly.com it has every piece of info you could possibly need/want on the dfx, including specific tips for the machine, and specialty programs

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and my husband each just purchased the DFX's. They should arrive today. I was using a cheap Bounty Hunter and just got tired of finding clad and a few relics. It just didn't seem to go deep enough unless it was a big target like the head of a hoe I just found recently.

I think if your going to stick with MD'ing and really enjoy the hobby, it is worth upgrading if you can afford it. If you are having "loads of fun" as you mentioned in your post...go for the upgrade if possible. You only live once!!!

Good luck Rocket!

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
" Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste time using a cheap machine when you can have more fun and recover more with a better detector. "
- our own immortal Sandman

get the DFX. you won't be disappointed

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my first detector, a DFX, a year and a half ago. I'm glad I did. You can run it out of the box until you get the hang of it and then start tinkering with programming it. If you like doing that kind of thing, you will love it. Words of advice;

1. www.dfxonly.com

2. "Digging Deeper with the DFX" by Jeff Foster

3. 2nd annual DFX gathering at Camp Mckinley, OH in April. (see dfxonly.com)

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
I know the feeling!! I decided to get into this hobby after many years of "thinking about it", after I met the owner of my local metal detector store. He had just returned from a winter trip to the beaches of Myorca (spelling?) Spain and showed me a sandwich bag literally full of gold rings, several with nice diamonds. I did my homework and decided the BH models offered all the features I wanted at half the price of the name brands. Luckily, Keith Zorger the owner of Treasure Outfitters talked me down and made me a sweet deal on a White's Classic ID demo model he had for sale.
I loved the hobby immediately and was soon looking for more infomation about what was in the ground. That was the driving force behind my decision to upgrade to the DFX, and I have never regretted the move. The DFX learning curve was not near as daunting as some say. Do yourself a favor and buy Jeff Foster's book right along with the DFX because it is worth it's weight in gold.

DK

RonNewbie

Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, MXT
If you are enjoying the hobby that much and can afford the next purchase so soon after your other, then go for it. You'll love the DFX since it allows you to be as much of a beginner or pro as you like. It's a great machine. Good luck with your decision.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread