Whites DFX and frame coils - Available for DFX?

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI
OK, like most of the people on this thread, I saw the program Meteorite Men. I thought the use of a frame coil was very smart. Great program. After looking on the Internet, it became obvious that there were frame coils for specific high-end metal detectors. I need a frame coil 101 education. I have emailed Whites to see if a frame coil could be hooked into a DFX. I like going out into fields to metal detect and living in Colorado seems to open a lot of doors to expand my hobby. Anyone have information? Since I have 2 DFX's, I wanted to dedicate one to a frame coil (don't ask why I have two, it is a long and expensive story). Not knowing anything about this, I thought I would post here.

thanks

Curt

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
I think that the people who use frame coils for hunting meteorites use them with P.I. detectors.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AUDuke said:
I think that the people who use frame coils for hunting meteorites use them with P.I. detectors.
That's what I thought also. Let us know what Whites said about it.

OP
OP
camcolo

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI
Yes, Whites confirmed that the coils are typically available for PI type detectors. Larger size, flexibility, shape, etc. are less influential to PI detectors. I also emailed Jimmy Sierra to learn a little more about the specific technical barriers. I guess I need more detail. I keep thinking that a typical metal detector should be able to run a large coil when on all metal mode and the sensitivity and preamp gain set accordingly. I did see a 25" coil that would work, but i cannot imagine the weight of that large of a standard coil. I do have a 16"x4" coil that is not too heavy. So, if I learn anymore, I will pass it along. Guess I will have to save my $$ for a PI detector if I am going to use a 1 or 2 meter frame type coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread