Western, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E-Series

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The DFX is a really nice machine. That said, the V3i is better. The DFX operates at 2 frequencies, the V3i operates at 3. Does that mean you'll find more with the V3i...maybe. If money is no object, and you don't mind the learning curve with the V3i, that's the way I'd go. Myself, I use the DFX.
Jim

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Just curious, what's wrong with the XLT? Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,034

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
xlthunter said:
Hello fellow treasure hunters,

It is finally time for me to purchase a new detector. I have been using the XLT for a long time and was surprised its no longing being sold by Whites. I am interested in the DFX or the newer VX3. Any reviews for the VX3 would be very helpful. Pros , Cons, etc.

Thanks,
Abe

Wasn't the VX3 made to replace the DFX?

mfitzs70

Sep 15, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett's Ace 250, Garrett's Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah the DFX is going away and the VX3 is taking it's place.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
What's next, the VX4? Why waste all your time analogizing all that info when you just want to find the target? Or maybe your the type that has to have the latest and greatest even if it is a bit overdone? There's an old line that goes, Keep it simple stupid. Just my point of view. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,022

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
What's next, the VX4? Why waste all your time analogizing all that info when you just want to find the target? Or maybe your the type that has to have the latest and greatest even if it is a bit overdone? There's an old line that goes, Keep it simple stupid. Just my point of view. Frank

I have to agree. I have a v3i and it is a great machine. But I am considering selling it and going with an mxt pro. Simple but great detector.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
0844, I use to use my XLT for beach hunting, you know, trying to analize what was down there before digging. I found out it was a waste of time. I could find out faster with a scoop or two. So I now use my Surfmaster PI and I go deeper faster. Sometimes it takes just a little longer to blow those whistles and ring those bells. lol Frank

Attachments

• Tarot.jpg
    Tarot.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 217
  • Arab on horse.jpg
    Arab on horse.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 242

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have to agree. I have a v3i and it is a great machine. But I am considering selling it and going with an mxt pro. Simple but great detector.
That's not really a bad decision. Out here in the west, with the scant rainfall, and thin topsoil, and since people haven't been here all that long, the coins are not very deep. I seriously doubt that a more advanced detector would find anything the MXT wouldn't. That said, the biggest benefit to the multi-frequency detectors is when you have an area that is covered with nails, etc...like a burned-down building. In that case the correlate mode in the multi-freq. units really helps sort the good stuff from the iron. Also, from what I understand, the multi-freq's do really well on the beach when going from wet to dry areas.
Jim

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning xlthunter and all responders,
What an interesting thread question as well as the reply's. Since I also own an XLT and hope to be using it more soon it is interesting to see the response to the thread question. All reply's are interesting but Jim's added some input I knew nothing about as I've stayed away from looking at new detectors to avoid the temptation. So maybe and I mean maybe if I found something really good with my XLT I'd consider a different machine. Then again I plan on adding the 4 x 6 DD Shooter coil to my arsenal of coils for the XLT and that will give me a new 'look at life' so to speak. Thanks for the fun read..........63bkpkr

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, what's wrong with the XLT? Frank

Nothing at all.
Lots of good finds are made with it.
The only thing that made me choose the DFX over the XLT years ago was coil compatability and availability were better with the DFX.
The DFX can use MXT, DFX, M6 and now some V3i coils and are more common.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
63bkpkr & Critical Recovery: The 9.5 that came with the XLT is one of the best coils that White ever made. You don't need others. It pinpoints the exact location of the find in the center of the coil. You can stick a probe down in the center of the coil and touch it. The V3 came out with a DD, a big mistake. It couldn't pinpoint the target in the center. Whites has switched back to the 9.5 on the new V3 line. You jest squeeze the trigger and move the coil above the target until you get the lowest number on the dept reading. At that point you are dead center over the target with the 9.5. Frank

Attachments

• Boca map 500 -2 copy.jpg
    Boca map 500 -2 copy.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 213

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
63bkpkr & Critical Recovery: The 9.5 that came with the XLT is one of the best coils that White ever made. You don't need others. It pinpoints the exact location of the find in the center of the coil. You can stick a probe down in the center of the coil and touch it. The V3 came out with a DD, a big mistake. It couldn't pinpoint the target in the center. Whites has switched back to the 9.5 on the new V3 line. You jest squeeze the trigger and move the coil above the target until you get the lowest number on the dept reading. At that point you are dead center over the target with the 9.5. Frank
You're not kidding about that 9.5. I have the d2 on the v3i. Pointing is a joke with it. Is like to get a 9.5 for my v3 if I keep it.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
You're not kidding about that 9.5. I have the d2 on the v3i. Pointing is a joke with it. Is like to get a 9.5 for my v3 if I keep it.

I use the D2 sometimes and find it good at pinpointing. What problems are you having?

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ticm said:
I use the D2 sometimes and find it good at pinpointing. What problems are you having?

It doesn't pinpoint in the center. It's more forward of center. It does not seem very consistent on the pinpoint area. And it really hates iron nails. It will tell me I'm center over the Target but I am digging 6 inches to the side of the hole with iron. I guess its not bad all the time. About half.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
It doesn't pinpoint in the center. It's more forward of center. It does not seem very consistent on the pinpoint area. And it really hates iron nails. It will tell me I'm center over the Target but I am digging 6 inches to the side of the hole with iron. I guess its not bad all the time. About half.

It should pinpoint right in front of those little ears where the rod is attached. Anyway it works for me.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have to disagree. I find pin pointing with the D2 very easy. Don't even need to use pp mode. Just wiggle the coil at the tip/heal and there it is. Easy smeasy!
I can't comment on the 950's beach prowess, but I can understand it's benefits there.
As for the iron issue...I find the D2 WAY better than the 950. Especially when targets are close together. Put a coin close to an iron nail and pass the 950 over them in both directions. You won't hit the coin at all on the swing where you pass the nail first. Do the same thing with a D2. Bang Bang Bang! Coin EVERY time.
If for no other reason, I'll use the D2.
I have a brand new 950 if anyone is interested in trading.:)

For anyone considering a VX3. Do it! I'm loving mine. Not as turn on and go like my MXTP (which I also love), but it's not overly complicated and it's pretty easy to set up.

Last edited:

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my xlt works great for me. its better than i will ever be. it has never helt back my finds i have a bounty hunter as a backup and all i have to do is get it out and use it for 30 minutes and then i realize just how good the xlt really is . i use it in tone id mode 100 % of the time .

Dec 1, 2007
altamont, ny
Detector(s) used
white's, garrett, xp, makro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have been away from this forum but i just got back. i see some great posts. i think i might be around for a while. my forum has gotten boring. ever since the white's eagle's & xlt came out i have been putting programs in white's detectors. i agree with much of what is said about coils. the d2 coil on the v3i was a failure. you could not crank this detector up & have it stay stable.i love the vx3 with the 91/2" coil. i run with a preamp of 13 with no problem. the bottom line is the 9 1/2 is a symmetrical coil & you can increase the gain much higher. the ordinary user of the v3i got lost with all the variables. the vx3 on the other-hand could be programed like the dfx & XLT & was more the turn on & go detector. i love using my 4x6 in high trash areas & old foundations. i found my gold cache in the catskills with the 4x6. the mxt's are great also but my vote is for the vx3. bob@northeast metal detectors

salvage diver

Feb 11, 2012
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites-DFX & Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the DFX and V3i I love them both. they are like choosing between my kids. Both are fantastic and I enjoy spending time with each. as far as problems pinpointing with the V3i, there are NO PROBLEMS learn your settings and learn your coils. I have multiple coils for each machine. you get out what you put in. I just hate Whites went out of business. so I am buying another of each machine so I wont run out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions