Whites DFX

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be purchasing a new metal detector very soon and have a question on this particular model.

Can anyone tell me what the max depth for the Whites DFX with the factory coil? Does it depend on if it is gold, silver or iron? Also, if I get a bigger coil, will that enhance the depth capabilities?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LeJeuene

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't used, but from what I have heard you might want to invest in a shovel ..

If the picture in post is you, your going to need the shovel to keep the men at a safe distance anyway. ;)

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by investing in a shovel?? Are you saying it detects pretty deep?

Yes, it is me, but I need no shovel for that as long as my husband is with me.

LeJeuene

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, from what I have read it is very good and detects fairly deep.

I was complementing both the DFX and you was all. :)

MPFISH

May 2, 2006
minnesota
the DFX is a good buy my partner has one and a 14" coil that just walks circles around my MXT with the 14" in minnesota soil he bangs down about 12to 14 inches.........mpfish........

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter - Thank you very much for your information. I am really considering the Whites DFX but I also understand it weighs about 4 pounds.

As for the compliment.....thanks... ;). I have had some strange looks from people when I am at a park MD'ing. That makes me nervous. I will not venture off alone in the woods are anywhere like that unless someone is with me. I would like to do more of that type of MD'ing like old homes or foundations out in the country but I am scared to go alone. My husband is travels alot on business so I am kinda limited when he is out of time which is alot. But I still have fun at parks. I like MD'ing at beaches too.

LeJeuene

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MPFISH - What is the advantage of a bigger coil other than covering more area? Does it enhance the depth range any?

LeJeuene

D

damz68

Hey, if you got enough bucks for the DFX you should also check out the Explorer. It goes just as deep, weighs about the same, it is just as easy to learn and looks a lot better. Yeah, the bigger coils go deeper but they have problems in trashy areas. I would stick with the stock coil.

Hey I would be carefull at the parks too, if you are alone. The man who sold me my detector told me about a woman who was detecting at our local park. She was robbed, a man ran up to her, grabed her detector and never slowed down. He jumped into a car that was waiting for him. She never got a tag number and lost a $500.00 detector. Even I worry about being robbed but a nice looking woman like yourself has a lot more to worry about. Be carefull and good luck.

Get a gun too!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please be careful. I get strange looks too, and I'm no where near as pretty as you are. ;D

I hunt beaches at night by myself at times, just Buck and I. ;) I can't afford to get S&W 9MM wet.

Maybe you can find a hunting partner for when you husband is out of town.

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow damz. You just never know huh. Now I will always be looking over my shoulder.

Is Explorer a Minelab? What is the advantage of the Explorer if you don't mind explaining?

LeJeuene

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks treasure hunter......I would never hunt a beach at night alone....never. I live very close to the coast and do alot of beach hunting. As for the gun....scared of them. Probably shoot myself in the leg or something.

I would love to have a partner, but I have found no one in the town I live in yet. Someone will pop up. River Rat is about 2 plus or so hours from me. She contacted me yesterday. We may get together one day for a hunt.

I would love to get a gang of hunters together for a weekend trip. I think that would be so much fun.

Thanks again.

LeJeuene

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
The current rumor is that Whites's will upgrade the DFX shortly. If I was going to buy one I would wait a bit to see if this is true.

You asked about depths for different items. Here is an air test of the DFX(along with other models) for different items. REMEMBER AIR TESTS MEAN NOTHING EXCEPT TO HELP YOU DETERMINE IF YOUR MACHINE IS WORKING CORRECTLY. Also this chart was made by the competition not by Whites's users- so take it with a grain of salt if you want.

http://www.nexusdetectors.com/Testspage.html

George

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George,

Thanks alot for sharing that information.

I sure wasn't expecting the results of that chart. I know that you said to take it with a grain of salt but now I feel like I am back to square one. I thought the DFX would have faired better than that chart showed...I know it was the competitions chart.

Hmmmm....what to do....what to do......

What do you have George?

LeJeuene

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Le, I have been told by several long time hunters that air tests on some machines doesn't mean much. My Excal didn't impress me with the air test, but it has no problem seeing targets in the ground deep. ;D Since I hunt mainly beaches its hard to get measurements as it keeps washing in as I dig, but I have a BIG scoop (Beach Brute) and some of what I pull up is several scoops deep. I can easily get 5-6+ inches deep in my first scoop.

Like George says take it with a grain of salt.

D

damz68

lejeuene said:
Wow damz. You just never know huh. Now I will always be looking over my shoulder.

Is Explorer a Minelab? What is the advantage of the Explorer if you don't mind explaining?

LeJeuene

Yeah, its a Minelab.

Dont know? I have read hundreds of stories about Explorers outdoing the DFX and no stories about the DFX outdoing the Explorer. I am a firm believer in not believing what you hear so my guess is they are both equal and maybe the DFX is just a little harder to set up right to get the depths that the Explorer is getting. The Explorer is very easy to use, just got mine 3 days ago. If you have a look at the Explorer you will fall in love. Man, it is an awesome machine. Sqare tubing, hidden wire, to extend it just flip the switch, rechargeable battery that goes in the end of the handle along with the headphone jack. You just have to see it. I have never seen a better looking machine. I know this may sound stupid and shallow but I bought it just cause it looks so dam good! But, I also know it will perform and every detector manufacturer on the planet strives to equal it. I was a little worried about weight but even after two hours of swinging my arm was not at all tired, it is balanced just right.

I have to tell you, the most expensive detector aint gonna help you if the coins are not there. The people here from the north are going to kick my butt with Ace 250's. I wont say they are doing there homework any better than I. The north was full of rich and middle class folks back in the day. In the south the only rich people lived in those plantations in my state(SC) and yours. There were few middle class people and lots of dirt poor people. The people of the south were poor and rarely lost money. But hey we got lots of war stuff, rev. and civil. You can get any detector and have luck if you do your homework in finding that sweet spot. And hey you got an advantage over us guys in getting a YES when asking permission!

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damz - Thanks for your information. Darn, I wish I would not have asked the question...hehehe. Got me thinking again. I thought my mind was made up. Thanks Damz.

LeJeuene

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I have never tried the minelab line but I am hooked on my DFX. I just like the USA factor. Then again i might end up with a minelab one day.
Happy hunting.

Dale

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
lejeuene said:
George,

Thanks alot for sharing that information.

I sure wasn't expecting the results of that chart. I know that you said to take it with a grain of salt but now I feel like I am back to square one. I thought the DFX would have faired better than that chart showed...I know it was the competitions chart.

Hmmmm....what to do....what to do......

What do you have George?

LeJeuene

I am a gold hunter so my choices are geared to depth and low conductors. GS5 (PI) and X-5 - also GMT.

There is an issue here that we haven't discussed. That would be weight. The DFX and Explorer are not exactly light weights- You may like a lighter machine- That was my objection to the Ex 11- you may have to use bungie cords to get the weight off. You need to use the DXF a while to see if weight is an issue. My guess is that you will prefer a lighter machine.-

I don't know where you live but if you have snow on the ground perhaps waiting a bit longer may be a wise move. There may be some new machines on the market before Spring. Word is that Fisher will produce the F75 (A step up from the T2). Besides a possible DFX upgrade rumor, another rumor is that Whites will go to a M7 as a replacement for the M6(not exactly a great seller).

Take your time and if possible try out a few machines (for weight and balnce) before you make a decision.

Good Luck
George

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Kinda funny how the Nexus is so much better than all the rest considering its their site they are showing the results on ::)
I find that air tests don't really tell what a detector can do in the ground and also the DFX as well as the Explorer are detectors that can be programmed for better performance. They say that they were set for maximum performance and I find it hard to beleive that they only got 5 " on some coins HMMMMMM.
As far as a replacement for the DFX soon ; there have been no announcements to any dealers and the factory is also not saying so it's anyones guess. Rumors are just that ; rumors.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Le,

You might want to check this link out too. http://www.tesoro.com/metal-detector-products.html

Don't know if weight is an issue or not for you, but the Vaquero is only about 2.5 lbs, uses 1 9 volt battery and Tesoro comes with lifetime warranty.

I don't know where you live but if you have snow on the ground perhaps waiting a bit longer may be a wise move.

Not a lot of Snow in Louisiana to worry about. Now thunderstorms and hurricanes are another story. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread