Whites DFX.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one that I still use often. The DFX came from the factory with what I consider pretty weak factory programs. I think White's did that to make sure they ran stable just about everywhere, without false signals. If a person takes the time to learn the DFX and make the necessary adjustments and save those settings in their own programs, then the DFX can run with any of the latest detectors.

OP
OP
T

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seriously considering getting a DFX to test it out for my youtube series. I always used to see guys with them but I never got a chance to try one out for myself.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The deepest coin i dug with the DFX was 10 inches for a dime. I had a bigger I had a big coil on.
I sold it and sometimes i wish i still had it.

OP
OP
T

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 inches is pretty good for a dime.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 of them, and to really learn it you need to get a copy of digging deeper with the DFX, read it about 3 times while using the machine. After you really understand how to work it for your conditions, that is when it works VERY well. That took about a year for me.
I keep the 6x10 on one and the Ultimate 13 on the other.. Nothing deep where I live, too much trash but someday I will get myself into a field that has some deep stuff in it..
For the money, you can not beat the DFX "Once you know how it works" and I am not talking about understanding the tone, I am talking about knowing when and why to make configuration changes and what each change will do to the way the machine works.

OP
OP
T

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I will get used to them easily enough because I've had a lot of other White's detectors.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently bought one on Ebay. I also bought probably the last new copy of Digging deeper with the DFX. It is out of print.
I tried to post a link for the instruction set on Youtube but it didn't work well. Go to Youtube. Search on whites DFX. Choose the series that have 10 videos.
The 10 videos will run you through all the settings and what they are for.
Going deep depends mostly on the ground conditions. You can turn up the settings for pre amp and increase ac and dc levels if your ground allows.
White's has a forum that lists some custom programs. Detector Programs.
Here is the link to Whites manual page. Choose DFX Spectrum and DFX 300. The only difference between the two is the size of coil it was shipped with. http://www.whiteselectronics.com/support/manuals

Another Dual frequency machine that I have is the Fischer CZ-7a pro. There are two of them for sale on Ebay right now. There are far fewer things to configure on that machine. Not many videos on that machine, but it is very similar to the CZ-70 pro. With that model they added one tone and one more notch mode, (relic). otherwise they are the same.

Last edited:

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can buy a brand new one with full warranty for $700 CDN are they still relevant. It's a discontinued pricing.

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid $500 for a used one with 3 coils, relic shovel, pin pointer, head phones bags, books etc etc, Also picked up a beater for $125, and almost new with accessories on craigs list for $300. All depends on the used market in your location..

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So its roughly 500 USD, for new. I was seeing if it was even worth it just to sell.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a search on Whites DFX at ebay and then go to advance and check the SOLD box and see what they have been selling for.

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a search on Whites DFX at ebay and then go to advance and check the SOLD box and see what they have been selling for.

Yeah did that but they are DFX Spectrums not the 300s with 12 inch coils.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO the DFX 300 is worth a little less than the regular DFX with the Eclipse 950 coil due to demand. Not near as many folks want the 300 (12") coil as it's heavy and just not as good an all around coil. A person buying the DFX 300 will just about always have to buy another coil.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi CA kid; I use the DFX and it is an easy to use detector with advanced modes and you can create your own programs as well. I have found quarters at 16" no pproblem especially in the RELIC Mode. It is VERY sensitive in that mode. I love it. Once you buy one you will never NEED another detector for the rest of your life. It is a rock solid machine with an easy learning curve. The other thing is that it is covered by the factory for any repairs for LIFE. I send mine in each year to be checked out andc tested and I have NEVER been charged a dime EVER. Try to beat that.!!! You can't.!!! Good Hunting. PEACE:RONB

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other thing is that it is covered by the factory for any repairs for LIFE. I send mine in each year to be checked out andc tested and I have NEVER been charged a dime EVER. Try to beat that.!!! You can't.!!! Good Hunting. PEACE:RONB

Not any more.. $60 for the checkup you pay the shipping out and back.. been that way for a couple of years now.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
That 12 inch coil on the DFX 300 is an arm breaker. I use it on the beach with a bungee cord. They are often sold with additional coils. Definitely look for that. The only advantage to the 300 is that it will have less years of potential use being the last version sold. And that still depends on its condition. Just seen a spectrum go for $335.00 with two coils at the auction site.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Minelab Explorer SE
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah did that but they are DFX Spectrums not the 300s with 12 inch coils.
It is the same machine. The only difference is the coil. I have the 300 / 12" coil. it is heavy.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Minelab Explorer SE
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi CA The other thing is that it is covered by the factory for any repairs for LIFE. I send mine in each year to be checked out andc tested and I have NEVER been charged a dime EVER. Try to beat that.!!! You can't.!!! Good Hunting. PEACE:RONB
I bought a DFX on Ebay here about a month ago. Someone hard wired a NiCad battery pack to the mother board. I called the factory. They said to look at it was $80. If the motherboard could be repaired was about $40 more. If the motherboard needed to be replaced, $250. I sent the detector back to the seller for not stating the condition in the add. They were good enough to give a complete refund. A bought a replacement.
Maybe if you are the original purchaser it makes a difference. Tesoro is like that. Warranty is only lifetime to the original purchaser.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX has never had a lifetime warranty. I've never found a quarter at 16" either though I do think the DFX is a great detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread