Whites M6 or Garrett At Pro ?

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has been a very hard choice for me . Most of my hunts will be inland for coins/jewelry/gold jewelry. Some trips to local lakes and 2 times atleast a year to the beach. I have to come between the M6 and ATP for my new detector. I have not read anything bad about the m6 or whites in general. I am interested in the garret simply because it is waterproof. I have read alot of mixed reviews of the atp. I contacted garret and they assured me that the bugs have been worked out but i fear this is just a salesman and his pitch. My main focus hunting will mostly be on land but i want to detect the freshwater beaches as well . and i would hate to leave all the jewelry in the 4ft-6ft range . Would i be best buying the m6 and a dedicated water detector ? or have the really got the kinks out of the atp.

And if you suggest a water/beach dedicated detector . Is there one around $500 that is worth a **** ?

i have read that the atp will hit on gold with a better vdi read out. and actually seen a video of a m6 that would read under 10 vdi for a 14k gold necklace but the user claimed that his atp would read a vdi of around 40 where it would be more normal ?

I am very interested in the atp because if it worked as claimed then it would be a end all to my needs.
But i never hear of anyone having to repair a whites. and i like that idea as well.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The VDI all depends on thickness of target as in different size rings, thick or thin chains and different karat gold and what metal is it mixed with. Lots of thin rings will fall in the pull tab range while a thick gold 10k ring I found a couple months ago came in about 50-52VDI, which I dug thinking it might be a IH penny. White's makes nice detectors with alot of coil options, I know the D2 is a great coil for those deep targets I can get dimes at 10"+ with that coil with some being at 12". The MXT is a threshold detector though which allows you to hear a little deeper targets than the M6, I'm sure the D2 will still rock on the M6 though but you can forget taking it in the water though. I've had acouple bad coils but White's replaced them with no problem, its always nice to have extra coils just in case and different coils are better for certain places.

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The whites detectors are just great once you learn them. Now the m6 is actually very simple to operate. Would it. Be better than the at pro, I just don't know. I love my whites and I wouldn't trade the fact that owning a whites makes me feel like if I had a factory that is looking my back all the time, and that will never let you down. As for a good water detector in your price range I have a detector pro wader and I love it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread