Whites MX5 - Well I Didnt Get Stunked

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whites MX5 - Well I Didn't Get Stunked

I set up the MX5 with no discrimination, 8 bars on the sensitivity, very slight threshold hum and used the two tone audio. I'll say this, it does a great job finding coins and it hit super hard on nickels. If I had gotten my search coil over a gold ring I'd would have known to dig it.

I'm not a fan of having a constant hum in my ear, but that is manageable. What I hate is having to put the MX5 in the standby mode in order to be able to use my Garrett ProPointer. They don't like one another at all.

I have been told that White's pin pointer works just find with the MX5. I have 3 Garrett ProPointers that I really like and the MX5 needs to find a new home. Great detector, but it's not my cup of tea.

I did managed to find quite a few coins with the MX5 at a place that I hit hard yesterday. I corned a 1943 War Nickel, 12 Wheat Pennies and a Silver Handle (9.6 grams) off of something. I only hunting around a couple of hours. All this heat and hard ground is wearing at me.

tabman

MX5%20Silver%20Handle%20004_zpsggfpzdo6.jpg
MX5%20Silver%20Handle%20007_zpsfwbkthpi.jpg

MX5%20Silver%20Handle%20010_zpsezoczkcr.jpg
MX5%20Silver%20Handle%20011_zpszsrkxk8k.jpg

MX5%20Silver%20Handle%20002_zpsxvbkpowy.jpg

MX5%20Silver%20Handle%20015_zpsur4jyguf.jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites MX5 - Well I Didn't Get Stunked

Tabman, simply lower threshold until you can no longer hear it. I like it just barely, I mean barely audible. You can actually hear targets aprox 1-2" deeper that will give a change in threshold but not strong enough to give a target response. I actually miss a threshold when I use a Tesoro or Fisher machine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabman, simply lower threshold until you can no longer hear it. I like it just barely, I mean barely audible. You can actually hear targets aprox 1-2" deeper that will give a change in threshold but not strong enough to give a target response. I actually miss a threshold when I use a Tesoro or Fisher machine.

I got the threshold part figured out. It's the Garrett ProPointer and MX5 yelling at one another that bugs the heck out of me.

I dig a lot of targets in a single hunt and having to push that standby button twice for each target gets to be a chore, especially where it's located. A switch on the shaft would have been better.

Other than that, it's great detector and is very capable of finding targets. I've found silver every time that I've used it and I know it hits hard on gold rings.

I guess I could buy one of Whites pin-pointers to solve the situation, but I have way too many detectors and pin-pointers as it is.

tabman

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tabman....i had a similar problem with my F75 when relic hunting with high sense.....it would chatter badly when trying to recover targets. So i started using the GRAY GHOST phones with the switch on the side. I wound just flip the switch until i recovered the target then flip it back using my left hand. Worked good for me....plus i really like gray ghost phones. I use them with my Tesoro's also...

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I could buy one of Whites pin-pointers to solve the situation, but I have way too many detectors and pin-pointers as it is.

tabman

I guess it is the side detection that causes the issue as I think the TRX and Garret both run the at the same frequency. If you like side detection then don't by the TRX you will not like it's tip only detection.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the switch on my headphones when using the TDI but it's so much easier to tap the standby mode on the mx-5 than flipping headphone switch.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My MX5 does not play well with my X-Pointer either but I love the standby switch. I think it was a great addition and a unique feature not found on other detectors. I have had several detectors that did not like the pinpointers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread