Whites mxt coin hunting???

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great coin and relic hunter. No longer my choice but it's a great detector.

Go to the Whites part of the Brands section of the forum. Lot of MXT info there.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found lots of coins with my MXT. Pros - very good selection of coils and decent depth. Only con as far as I'm concerned is the weight,
.luvsdux

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with an MXT for a few years before moving to an E-Trac. Personally, the MXT would be my choice for gold and relics over most any other machine. However, I find that the E-Trac is better for coins, but it also costs twice as much. Overall I don't think you would be disappointed with an MXT.

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the MXT. It is a great machine and it is easy to use with a low learning curve. Pro: great at ID'ing targets before you dig. 3 modes although I use the coin and jewelry mode all the time. I do not have any cons to say although I didn't like the concentric coil it came with so I use a smaller DD coil. It is a great machine.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I need some pros and cons on the whites mxt. And also how good is it for relic and coin hunting and gold.

hunting-for-wheaties, when you ask how good it is for gold, do you mean: nuggets? or did you mean gold jewelry ?

The MXT is a cross-over machine. Made so that a person can go back and forth between prospecting nuggets (which are rarely ever bigger than grain-of-rice size, pin-head sized, etc...) to coins/jewelry/relics. So you have to figure, that since it's a cross-over machine, it will excell in neither arena. There will be better nugget machines, and there will be better coin/jewelry/relic machines.

So for coins, you will find yourself spanked by others who are swinging power-house coin-hunting machines like the explorers, etc... . But will the mxt find coins/jewelry ? Sure. And for nuggets, you will find yourself spanked when you're going up against someone with the newer breed of pulse nugget specialty machines. But will it do it? Sure.

And as for "jewelry" (if that's what you meant by "gold"), then that's a loaded question. Because if you meant tinsel fine chains, earing studs, etc..., then the mxt will outshine a coin/jewelry/relic machine. But to be honest with you, when it comes to numbers-of-low conductors to choose from, I hardly think that's any goal of jewelry hunters, if you're talking the average park, school, etc.... Because you can take any coin/relic machine, and simply lower the disc, and start digging all. Then you'll have all the low conductors you want. So increasing that to include even tinsel thin chains and earing studs, I'm not sure if you're going to up your gold count. Since the parks and scholls are ALREADY loaded with low conductors, free-for-the-taking, for anyone who wishes to knock themselves silly trying to be a hero to dig them all up. [or, you can simply go to swimming beaches, where ratios of jewelry-to-junk are much improved]

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread