Greenie
Sep 21, 2012
Greenville/Raleigh,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, GMT King Cobra, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

Newb with a Whites MXT here and need some help. Im gonna be doing some searching along a river near the ocean and was wondering what the best all around setting would be? There may be some civil war artifacts along with the usual coins and jewelry. I am assuming "relic" would be the best option but Im not sure. Any other help on how to search this area would greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The alt relic mode(relic mode with trigger forward) seems to be the deepest detecting mode which will still pick up coins and give the same VDI reading, this is the mode I coin detect in, the only thing is instead of showing a coin reading it will say button or buckle instead of a coin reading. The same thing with coin mode it will still pick up relic's it will just come up as a coin reading with the same VDI as it would be in relic mode, it might be best for coin hunting to run in coin mode till you get used the VDI reading that the different coins come up as. Just be aware that once the coins are really deep they don't VDI like they would at 7" or less, any target that gives a good tone most of the sweeps across it thats real deep I dig, if its barely able to pick the target up at the depth its at is not going to give an acurite VDI. Try running the gain as high as you can for more depth but if it gets to noisy back it down some, I usually run at +2 gain if I go higher than that it has a chatty threshold with to much noise and you might miss those deep whisper targets. Thats another thing listen for those whisper targets, they can be easy to pass up when you get in area's where there's lots of targets even if there being discriminated out, also you might want to post questions about the MXT in the brands White's section as more White's users will see it there. HH

JanThorCro

Aug 29, 2012
The Land of Captain Crunch
Detector(s) used
DFX

Starting to understand the machine. :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff Foster wrote "The MXT Edge". Great book with a lot of good info to help a MXT user get more out of their MXT.

Good luck on the river.

:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions