Whites mxt help

Rossiter25

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a whites mxt the standard 950 coil. This one spot I go to the ground reads 62 to 68 in prospecting. I found some buffalo nickels there yesterday. My problem is depth at this area. There are some power lines nearby. My max depth there is 6 inches the 5 nickels I found were 6 inches deep. I could not get a repeatable beep. It would give me a good sound in relic mode the first swing after that of the next 20 passes over it it would pretty much read iron. With no consistent beeps at all. The buffalo nickels were pretty much luck. Would the mineralization affect the depth so my max would be 6 inches. I go other places around the same area the ground reads 70 to 80 and I can get a consistent beep and even a correct vdi at 6 inches. I know I need a dd coil but can't afford one right now. I run my detector usually in relic mode gain around 10 but I have tried everything in this area. Discrimination at 3 . I usually always lock the ground balance. But I have tried both lock and trac in this area. I run my thresh hold with a slight hum. Can anyone offer any suggestions to get a little more depth in this area or even a consistent tone at 6 inches.

Running gain around 10 is fairly high and makes the detector see more minerals than it needs too. More gain or sens does not really mean more depth, just greater sens to smaller items. Also coins on edge can give a weak signal. A DD coil handles minerals better and also trash as it is hot down the middle.

The tracking on the MXT is great, for depth I run mine at +2 gain anymore it gets a little to noisy for those real deep faint targets. With the D2 coil I can get dimes at 10"+ even running 6 discrimination for trashy parks, I'll just dig the faint deep signals so all my time won't be used digging clad and trash. You might have trouble getting that gain if your ground is not as good and a good set of headphones will let you hear the really deep targets easier. It takes some time to get the full benefit from the MXT but its a great detector and the whites D2(the white's 10"DD coil) is awesome for the deep stuff on the MXT, I bought a detech ultimate 13"DD coil looking for more depth over the white's D2 coil which it seems about the same depth but did hit harder on some deep silver dimes setting on edge, it gave just enough better signal that I dug them. The 13" coil would be nice for a big open area to cover more ground per swing and you'll want a well kept area with short grass, if I was only going to have one coil for the MXT it would be the D2 coil I see alot of people saying they would choose the 6x10"DD but I know alot of old home sites that I done that I would have missed some real nice deep coins. HH

I am thinking a DD may be what you need but one way I have got a tad bit more depth is in Relic Mode,toggle pushed all the way forward....all the time,desc. at "0",and gain plus 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back