whites mxt question

kjbllc123

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New member here and I have a few questions about the fisher mxt and using it on the ocean beach. I know experience is the best teacher and I have a lot to learn about but there are a few questions I have about what I have had happen on the beach.

I have the settings at the recommended for coins, discrimination just past nickel, on salt setting, threshold just buzzing, set on the triangle for preset, the switch under the front at mid position.

On dry sand it seems to work fine most of the time, I have found penny's, nickels and quarters.
But sometimes I seem to get a lot of false readings, it will change from penny, iron, dollar, when I do a sweep, when I use the pinpoint option on the handle is shows me nothing, when I dig I get nothing. It also seems to happen more on wet sand also.
I am wondering if this is because there are mineral deposits there or just one of those things that are part of metal detecting on the beach.
If I get to those places, if I turn the discrimination up will I set myself up for missing things?
or should I put it on track lock?? or a combination of those?

thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is a single frequency detector so it will false near the wet sand because salt is a mineral and it also has black sand that varies. You can try to lower the sens even more and lose more depth. Fisher doesn't make the MXT, White's does.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard that you need to ground balance for wet sand and dry sand, so if you start in the dry sand stay in the dry and ground balance again for the wet sand then stay in the wet sand. HH

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
I have been beach hunting with the WHITES MXT on the Atlantic coast of Florida and here on the Gulf Shores of Alabama. With battery at full, the MXT will hit very deep targets. I have found gold earings, a silver/ruby ring, and many clad coins on both coasts. The secret is this: The MXT is an auto balance machine . When you work the dry sand it will be like working a tot lot at any public school. However, when going from dry sand to wet sand and then sea water, one will experience chatter. This chatter can be eliminated completely by pumping the coil up and down over wet sand first to allow it to balance and then do the same under water with coil submerged. The MXT is a fantastic beach hunting machine and remember to put the mode switch on SALT.

Nevada Dan

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2011
Try backing off on the gain a bit. Going from dry to wet sand it also helps to ground balance in spite of the auto trac.
Once balanced, you can set track lock, but you need to re balance for different areas.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Was looking for a post from a guy that used the MXT on the beach in prospecting mode......... Basically he would just turn the SAT up and have at it... he said the max SAT would track the conditions fine.
What the heck can't hurt to try........

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnedoe,

that makes perfect sense, that is one of white's advantages over their competition, and with their v.d.i. Paten it's a win win.

white's detector are the best...

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
That was me that said to use the Prospecting Mode with the SAT all the way up to HyperSAT. You will get a percentage of iron, not a VDI #. You can decide whether or not to dig iron if the reading says more that 20% iron or not. The other method on the beach is to use the Selector Switch to Salt and reground balance for dry, wet, or water conditions. The MXT is an auto balance machine and you will need to pump the coil and wait for a ground balance for each condition. Either way will work fine and you will find that the MXT is a very good Beach Machine....BTW, the MXT is a fantastic all around VLF machine and yes, I have found gold nuggets in NV with this machine because with the variable SAT, it is a true gold machine....jim

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread