Whites PI pro: Freshwater?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is supposed to be waterproof to 25 feet, but many report that they leak. This could just be because of improper care of the O ring too. Suggest you read a field test report at http://lostreasure.com/fieldtests/ArchiveView07.cfm?ID=LT20070625

You might wanna wrap this PI around a tree since it loves to find iron very deep. Bobby pins can last decades in fresh water ut will rust away sooner in salt. If you are young with a strong back it will find the deep stuff. Myself however would rather spend my time with a detector with more discrimination like a Excal that ignores iron and still respond to coins and rings very near or under the iron. It can still respond to a large iron object just like the other detectors.

I prefer the Excal 1000 and the Tiger Shark or CZ20 for all my water hunting.

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
lambretta said:
I'm reading nothing but good reviews on the PI pro and it's ability in waist deep salt water.

Can you take this machine deeper, maybe 10' under?

I would be doing more searching in fresh water, than the beach. Will this matter since it picks up everything?

I would not get a PI for most freshwater hunting as there's just usually too much trash and old iron. But a few hunters have done well on specific heavily hunted out freshwater spots and the PI gave them the extra depth needed. However, this is not the norm and I would suggest a good VLF if most of your hunting will be in the freshwater!

The DF is a fantastic salt machine and different than the original Surf PI detector. The Dual Field is rated to 100' so your 10' requirement is a non issue.

My buddy is ripping it up with his CZ-21 salt & fresh too! His gold count has increased plenty since picking up this machine! I also run a CZ20 and his machine performs just the same as tested in salt & freshwater. I also use and luv my Beach Hunter 300 and it works great in both the salt and fresh water!!!

Thanks!

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
Sandman said:
It is supposed to be waterproof to 25 feet, but many report that they leak. This could just be because of improper care of the O ring too. Suggest you read a field test report at http://lostreasure.com/fieldtests/ArchiveView07.cfm?ID=LT20070625

You might wanna wrap this PI around a tree since it loves to find iron very deep. Bobby pins can last decades in fresh water ut will rust away sooner in salt. If you are young with a strong back it will find the deep stuff. Myself however would rather spend my time with a detector with more discrimination like a Excal that ignores iron and still respond to coins and rings very near or under the iron. It can still respond to a large iron object just like the other detectors.

I prefer the Excal 1000 and the Tiger Shark or CZ20 for all my water hunting.

That review is for the older Surf PI Pro detector! The new Dual Field is a completely different machine! First, different improved seal/gasket, new dual field coil (smaller coil within the larger coil), adjustable pulse delay lets you tweak the detector for all different beach water areas, waterproof to 100'.

The seals have been improved (old black to new orange + this is an old resolved issue). Also, the Beach Hunter 300 and DF use different boxed designs! The Beach Hunter box is never opened exposing the seal. All that's opened is just the battery compartment so there's no access to the seal on it.

On any water detector, when you're finished you rinse off the machine in clean running water. If you need to open them up, any brand (Infinium, CZ, White's, Fisher, Tesoro) you don't do it in the sand at the beach! You clean the box like I said with water, dry it off and then open it to change the batteries! You should always use a little electronic grade silicon (not the stuff for showers and tubs which has acid that can damage the seals) on the gasket and you won't have any issues!!! Also the batteries last a real long time on the White's machines!

Thanks!

rehless

Mar 23, 2008
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, Surf PI, Tesoro SS, Cibola, Tejon, Troy X2
I have three White PI machines, including the Pro and the Dual Field and they are all used exclusively in freshwater. Don't let any one tell you they can't be used or are too sensitive for fresh water.
You just have to use your head. I don't take my Dual Field to a beach where I am looking for surface drops or where I know it is pretty trashy. Common sense. My oldest White pi doesn't go as deep as the Pro nor the Dual Field, so some times I use that if I am not looking for depth. It also signals like the old bfo machines which is nice when you have a wet suit hood on. I also have a SandShark and a TigerShark, so I am covered if I need a little discrimination or need to use a machine with a smaller coil. Go get 'em.

rehless

Mar 23, 2008
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, Surf PI, Tesoro SS, Cibola, Tejon, Troy X2
Just to add, the White's PI Pro is good to a depth of 100 feet.
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions