whites prism series?

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Re: white's prism series?

We have a Prism 2 and it is good for the person that wants to tool around or on a limited budget. However, we tried it on the Ocean beach and forget it. Also after buying my Whites DFX and Minelab X cal, the prizm does not compare. Although the girlfriend likes it as well as her boy. They just like to go out from time to time and not take it to serious. I am not trying to discredit the Prizm as they have their purpose. They are also limited in their coil options. I have to say that the prizm 2 has paid for itself with finds and pleasure from various users. :occasion14:

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What about the prism 4?

Would the ace 250 work better on the beach then the prism 4?

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I bought a prizm IV and I am sorry to say that it is comparable to a detector purchased at Toys R us. :'(

The newer Prizm 6T is supposed to be much better, but for just another hundred dollars you can get an M6 wich is a great coin and jewelry
machine and it uses mostly the same coils as the MXT and DFX.

east tx digger

Jan 21, 2009
chandler, tx
Detector(s) used
whites xlt

I have a WHITES XLT, and my wife has a PRISIM II, she loves the PISIM II she has dug targets 7-9 inches. She does wish that it had a depth meter but other than that she really likes it.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm always reluctant to comment negatively on what may be someone else's favorite detector, but I had a Prizm IV that I finally traded for the following reasons. 1. No smaller coil available for trashy areas. 2. It had a response/retune time just slow enough to make pinpointing somewhat frustrating, especially since my other machine's response/retune times are near instantaneous. 3. Don't personally care too much for factory option notch discrimination and compared to what else is out there in the market, a bit expensive.

To be fair, what I did like. The weight and balance were good, depth was decent, the target ID was very accurate on coins, and I liked the multi-tone audio feature as well as the easy to read display and the touchpad controls. For the few times a year in the park or fairgrounds hunter, not really a bad detector, but for the serious eat, sleep, dream, and talk, detectorist, there are better options out there. My two bits.
Bill

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!

prizm 4 was my second detector. I found enough coin to finance my current tesoro, although nothing older than wheaties. I also found a gold ring and 3 silver rings. I think it's a good mid level detector...just a bit pricey for the performance. My 2 pennys!

Jim

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005

CWnut said:
What happened? Why were the prism series not so well received by the metal detecting community?

Well, my opinion is that White's had a perfectly good series with the classics, especially the Classic 3 and the IDX Pro. The classic 3 and IDX will run circles around the Prisms.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

i see the dealers received notice that the small DD coils are getting ready to ship out fot the prizms and ID-5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread