Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
White's Prizm V

Does anyone own a Prizm V, or maybe used one? Is it a good investment? Do you think it would be a better machine than a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II. I can't afford the high dollar DFX and I wanted to try a White's. The Prizm V seems to have all the features I am looking for but just wanted some input from someone who has used one.

Upvote 0

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: White's Prizm V

ModernDayWarrior said:
? Does anyone own a Prizm V, or maybe used one? Is it a good investment? Do you think it would be a better machine than a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II. I can't afford the high dollar DFX and I wanted to try a White's. The Prizm V seems to have all the features I am looking for but just wanted some input from someone who has used one.

Don't have a V but I do have a Prizm III and love it, target ID, depth indicator, and pinpoint are very accurate, my III goes deep too, the V can only go further with the larger coil, I wish my III had tone ID though like the V. Hope this helps!!

HH

OP
OP
ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the input nevr. The tone ID and VCO pinpointing are what have me deciding on the V. Not to mention the 9.5 coil. Is your depth and ID pretty accurate on the III? Warrior

OP
OP
ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here's a good one. Prizm V vs. Ace 250. I know which one is cheaper but which one is the best performer and most reliable? I've heard a lot of good things about the Ace 250 but not a lot about the Prizm V.

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ModernDayWarrior said:
Thanks for the input nevr. The tone ID and VCO pinpointing are what have me deciding on the V. Not to mention the 9.5 coil. Is your depth and ID pretty accurate on the III?? ? ? ?Warrior

Yeah, wish I had tone ID on my III.....as for the depth meter and target ID - very accurate on coins, and coin sized objects, the depth meter is skewed a bit with larger or very small targets, target ID is dead on on coins also, dimes either ID as copper penny or bounces back and forth between copper penny and quarter

As for Prizm vs Ace, I have never used an Ace, but many people on this board love 'em....although I have heard some complain about pinpoint problems and the target ID jumping around a lot and being off

I would stick with the Whites tho

HH

jerster

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2006

Hi - new here...new to metal detecting.

Got the Prizm V for X-mas to share with my younger daughter. First time out for an hour in my mother's backyard - two matchbox cars, 1 nickel, 5 pennies, 1 siver ring! 1 of the pennies was a wheatie. Not bad for my first time out ever.

Prizm V seems to pinpoint very well. I did discriminate out everything but coins - since my mom's backyard had some known trash from putting up aluminum siding and gutters years back. First few holes garnered one of those long spikes for attaching the gutters, some odd pieces of siding, etc. Also dug up a brass hose nozzle and a water turn on valve. Both were around 6+ inches.

Some of the larger objects displayed a quarter at 6+ inches, which wasn't exactly true, but I dug them anyway and found goodies nonetheless.

If it said it was a penny at 4 inches, it was a penny at four inches. I was really pretty impressed. Hardest thing was actually finding the coin in the soil - but it was there. Just ordered a pinpointer which should help with that.

Found the ring at 8 inches. Can't wait till it actually gets warmer around here in Michigan so I can use it some more. It was 35 degrees when I went out the other day.

I really like the VCO pinpointing. It seems to help out a lot in narrowing down where to dig. Will have to get used to the tone id. Don't have headphones yet so it was pretty noisy with dogs barking at me from nect door and the like. If it went ding, I basically just looked at the display since I was disc. out all but coins.

Good luck,
Jerster

jerster

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2006

The ace 250 is VERY popular, but I've heard from more than one experienced source that the pinpointing takes a little getting used to. I couldn't deal with that since my 7 yr old hunts along side me, and she would get discouraged rather quickly if we kept digging false holes.

The Prizm V pinpointing so far has been spot on. I can localize the target easily, if it doesn't give the strongest of pinpointing chimes then I know it is down deep or a larger object - such as that gutter nail I found which is like 8 inches long.

Of course, there is quite a difference in cost so the Ace tends to grab a lot of the attention since it is a really goos deal at $200. Lots of options, and a real coin magnet I hear. Heard it won't whisper on deep targets though. I peg the Prizm V one step up from the Ace 250. The Ace 250 may be closer to the Prizm II - III and in some regards the prizm IV. Since I got my Prizm V new from a local dealer for a great price on sale - I couldn't pass it up.

OP
OP
ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey thanks for the input jerster. I am sold on the Prizm V. I'm just waiting to recover from Christmas and my son's birthday this month. I will also be getting an Ace 150 or 250 for my fiance'. She is getting into treasure hunting. I'll be able to compare the two machines. Happy Hunting. Warrior

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread