Whites Royal GT headphones are too cheapy!

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, I knew companies were trying to make things more inexpensive these days, but I have to say that I am really let down with my "upgraded" headphones from Whites...the Royal GT. Volume doesn't go as high as I would like, and the knobs are super wiggly, and feel like they are ready to fall off!! They feel "cheap", like, $10 cheap. I've had an older set of Whites phones in the past, and they were WAY better than these. If you can get a NICE set of stereo headphones from Wal-Mart for $20, then why can't you get a superior set of headphones from a reputable company like Whites for $50?? Just really, really disappointed Whites. :-[

DeJa

Upvote 0

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I know. That's why I popped the coin and bought a set of Killer B's Wasps.

HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto only I went with the Black Widow's from DetectorPro.

OP
OP
mydejavooo

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Ditto only I went with the Black Widow's from DetectorPro.

Wow...those are some sweet looking phones!! I love the warning on their website regarding "possible eardrum damage"! Dang!!!

DeJa

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If the truth be known, you don't need a high end set of earphones for detecting. When you buy high priced headphones, there responce is about 15Hz to20k Hz. Your detector probably doesn't go higher than 1k Hz output on the headphones. So you are throwing away your hard earned. You might want to pay extra for a set with comfortable ear cups though. Frank

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphone selection is important because they need to stand up to rain and damp so should have mylar cones so they don't sound mushy a few months down the line.

Impedance is also important (low is 75 ohms through to 150). Low impedance sound louder if the detectors output is low. Use higher impedance and the output from the detector might not be enough to show any improvement. In fact output could well be worse and the increased electrical energy required will reduce battery life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread