Whites Spectrum xlt versus AT pro

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my XLT for 14 years of good trouble free hunting and have been considering an AT Pro for an upgrade. Would this be considered an upgrade from the XLT, or would I be better off staying with my XLT? I like what I have heard about the AT PRO, but I'm not sure how much it would benefit me to go to one. I do a lot of coin and relic hunting around old home sites, and some beach hunting for coins and jewelry. I have been using Whites detectors since I started MDing in the early 70's. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By noticing your list of detectors, you've all but married your XLT. Well done.
But the ATPro ain't a marrying type of machine. Definitely useful and powerful, ATPros are to be used on a need.
Raining, I need the ATP.
Creek/lake, I need the ATP.
Saltwater beach, I don't need the ATP.
After using a single machine for 14yrs, look around. Many machines out there.
GL
Peace ✌

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stick with your XLT, not that AT isn't good it's just not "better".

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info
By noticing your list of detectors, you've all but married your XLT. Well done.
But the ATPro ain't a marrying type of machine. Definitely useful and powerful, ATPros are to be used on a need.
Raining, I need the ATP.
Creek/lake, I need the ATP.
Saltwater beach, I don't need the ATP.
After using a single machine for 14yrs, look around. Many machines out there.
GL
Peace ✌

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your info. I have had good results with the XLT, I have just been seeing a lot of good reports on the AT Pro.
Stick with your XLT, not that AT isn't good it's just not "better".

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought an XLT back when it was new. I have used it an loved it a long time now. So much that last year a pristine condition XLT came up for sale I bought it also. I know nothing of the AT Pro but I doubt that it is as versatile or adjustable.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I will just continue using the xlt as long as it gives me good service. Thank you.
I bought an XLT back when it was new. I have used it an loved it a long time now. So much that last year a pristine condition XLT came up for sale I bought it also. I know nothing of the AT Pro but I doubt that it is as versatile or adjustable.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still may get an AT Pro just to have a machine to use in wet conditions, lakes, creeks, and rain. I thank everyone for the input.QUOTE=Perses;4654158]I used the AT Pro for a year before I upgraded to the XP Deus. My detecting buddy has the XLT and we had many chances to compare the machines on real (as in not planted) targets, the ATP always found what was in the ground where as his machine missed some targets. Maybe it was the program he was using, maybe its the DD coil vs the concentric and the shape of the magnetic field or some other variable, but in my opinion the AT Pro is better and more simple to use.[/QUOTE]

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the AT Pro for a year before I upgraded to the XP Deus. My detecting buddy has the XLT and we had many chances to compare the machines on real (as in not planted) targets, the ATP always found what was in the ground where as his machine missed some targets. Maybe it was the program he was using, maybe its the DD coil vs the concentric and the shape of the magnetic field or some other variable, but in my opinion the AT Pro is better and more simple to use.

It's that simple to use phrase that needs addressing. The XLT is a sophisticated piece of equipment. The learning curve is sharp. And yes there are many coils available. I own 6. Mixed mode is awesome. You are running all metal and discrimination simultaneously.... How easy is that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions