Whites super 12" search coil for the DFX

Brokwing

Dec 24, 2007
Fond du Lac,Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites super 12" search coil for the DFX

Hello I would like to know if the Whites super 12" is a good all around search coil for the DFX and also if you have to have a different setting for that to go dipper and if so what would be a good setting to use for that search coil. I do all sorts of huntting from the parks and playground to beach and just a little bit of hunting in the water maybe about 4" to 6" of fresh water only.Thanks from Wisconsin Brokwing

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Re: Whites super 12" search coil for the DFX

I've used my Super12 exclusively since getting it about 1/3 of the way through the 2007 season. I kept my 5.3 Eclipse in the trunk in case I was in a really trashy area, but I never wound up switching to it.
I guess my answer to your 'good all-around coil' question is yes, with the exception of high-trash. You just won't get good target separation in heavy trash with a larger coil.

The consensus in my home DFX website is positive about the Super12 re: better depth and good performance. It won't report pinpointing depth as accurately, because the DFX is "calibrated" for the std. 9.5 coil; but I don't see that as a problem.

"Recommended"

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Whites super 12" search coil I got it on the B.H.ID

ITS BEEN VERY GOOD!! I HUNT SALT WATER BEACHES...ITS VERY STABLE STILL GETS TINY ITEMS!!

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.

I gotta say, I just got the Super 12 and on the DFX boy does that thing airtest well. I am suprised at how light it is. This should be a good one - I can't wait to get outside with it. I'm looking forward to some deep indian head finds with this one.

ian

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3

Hey Saginaw, I know you're champin' at the bit too. I had a good '07. You'll recall we ran into each other near the Milford Powerhouse in '06.

With that Super12, "It's a whole new ball game".

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used

Hey, how's it going! I remember you, you found a mercury head dime that day, right? I can't wait go get back out. I just bought the 5.3 eclipse and that super 12 - the airtest was amazing on that super 12 - have you been using it? Now you got me really excited to get out there! Do you have any good sites lined up for the spring? I found a couple of good homesites that I have lined up. I might try to go to the DFX hunt this year, what about you?

What do you think of that 12" - good depth or what?

Oh yeah, I bought this new rain/dust cover set that is absolutely sweet - I got it from England and it's just about the coolest rig I can imagine. I'll take a picture and post it here.

ian

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3

Yep, that Merc was one of the deeper coins I got with the 5.3 coil. This spring, I plan to revisit all the Milford sites that came online this past season. I had the '12 coil for the 2nd half of the season, but that discussion on dfxonly about turning Tone I.D. off and opening up the Disc. has me eager to re-check those sites.

As of about an hour ago, I'm feeling vulnerable. I just paid over $50 to ship the DFX main unit and stock coil (someone said they want you to send that, although I haven't used it since summer of 2006) back to Sweet Home for the "I'm almost two" free tuneup.

We can gang up on some sites this spring. I hope to go to the Tuscazoar thing, but I haven't made a hotel rez yet. I know you're eager to see what that big coil can do.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used

admiral - have you been exclusively using the 12" coil or the 5.3 - or alternating. So you havent used the stock coil for a long time? That's interesting, do you find the 5.3 to be similar in depth? I'd love to meet up for some hunting this spring and summer - I'm sure there are alot of deep coins in that milford park area - maybe that 12" coil can pull some out. Email me anytime you want to discuss DFX hunting

ian

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3

SaginawIan said:
admiral - have you been exclusively using the 12" coil or the 5.3 - or alternating. So you havent used the stock coil for a long time? That's interesting, do you find the 5.3 to be similar in depth? I'd love to meet up for some hunting this spring and summer - I'm sure there are alot of deep coins in that milford park area - maybe that 12" coil can pull some out. Email me anytime you want to discuss DFX hunting
ian
Ian, I'm a bit late replying here, sorry.
After I got the 12 in July or so, I used it exclusively. I liked the 5.3 a lot, but the footprint is small and it's not going to go very deep (I think, trying to remember the graphs in DDwtDFX, the 5.3 is a shade shallower than a std. 950).
There's an 1841 house on Commerce we could gang up on when the weather comes back. An '03 IH cent is the best thing I found there last year, and there has to be more. Let me know via PM here or on dfxonly.

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with the remarks above. It weights 3 oz more than the stock coil. I was using mine in the water once and all of a sudden the DFX went crazy. I could'nt get it to quite down. When I got home and shook the coil I could hear water in it. It had leaked into the coil through one of the seams. I sent it to Whites and got a new one sent back quickly. :D

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3

That's why we love those folks.

I got an email indicating that they shipped my DFX on 2/4. Did yours come back from tuneup via Fedex or UPS or by what means?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread