whites tr discriminator md

K-Man

Apr 12, 2007
marinette, wi
i went and bought a metal detector from a guy who only used it 2 or 3 times and he found some nice stuff with it so i bought it from him because im tight on cash right now and i wanted to get a md and start a new hobby well it has a mineral setting a metal setting and a disc setting and its confusing me could someone help explain this to me

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think you have an older machine. If it is a TR, as you say, they were pretty much made obsolete by about 1980. But to be sure, read the writing off the side of the machine, and give us the complete name of the machine. Depending on which model you have, will dictate how they were meant to be operated.

OP
OP
K-Man

K-Man

Apr 12, 2007
marinette, wi
that is the whole name i tested it on a penny a nickle and a quarter and the only thing it pick up was the quarter i took it to the beach last night and it picked up 3 large piece's of metal but that was it pick up some beer cans but thats it.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Set it on metal and just a bit of discrimination. If it a TR 66, which I had in the60's and found a bunch of stuff, you sill do ok if !. you stay off the wet sand and away from highly mineralized soil. Max depth in good damp soil is about 5-6 inches on a dime

HH

OP
OP
K-Man

K-Man

Apr 12, 2007
marinette, wi
well the book thingy says model 633 so i dunno and wut should i set the discrimination at and when u say high mineralized soil wut do u mean like wut type of soil this is the first time i have ever owned a md so im still trying to learn it

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
Kman depends what you are looking for, if its coins take a nickle and run the coil over IT TO WHERE IT WILL PICK IT UP when adjusting the disc.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
K-man, I don't know of any Whites model "633". And while the words "TR" were on many of their models, I don't know of any of them that ONLY had those words on the box. Ie.: there should be other words, names, etc... on there. Can you post a pix of the machine on the forum here?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
The set up looks like the TR 66. Just set it to metal, disc 2-3 and play with it til you can get a reading on a dime at 4-6 inches. it won't work very well in mineralized ground no matter what you do

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I don't see where it says "633", but in any case, that is akin to the original 5000D, based on the body style and "TR discriminator". As such, it's a total dinasour. Top depth in disc. mode was perhaps 4 or 5", and a bear to keep balanced.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
On the Whites website they have all the old instruction manuals available for download free of charge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread