Whitney Oregon Ghost Town

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Whitney was never a mining camp ,though it was surrounded by them. It was stritcly a center for logging operations.
Ms Erma Cole was a schoolteacher there during 1919-1920
She states that the temperature that winter stayed at 55 below zero for quite a spell. She boarded at one of the small hotels near the saloon on the East side of the street. The walls were just boards with batten covering the cracks. She had a small sheet iron stove ,a bed and table in her 9 x 10 room. The little stove glowed red at all times but she wasstill cold .When the temp rose to 50 below ...she says it almost seemed balmy!
Each Saturday saw a huge dance and the hotel owner made a trip to Prairie City each week to restock his bootleg booze.
A dozen or so buildings remained in early 70's ...at the south end the imposing sawmill...three stories high with large adjoining pond

Located about a 1/2 mile south of Highway 7 between Austin and McEwan, Whitney was the prime station on the 80 mile long, narrow-gauge Sumpter Valley Railroad. 14 rail crews were stationed in town and 75 people were employed at the local saw mill which supplied lumber for the surrounding gold mining camps. Even with all this activity, the population never rose above 100

Attachments

• wh2.jpg
    wh2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 990
  • whit.jpg
    whit.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 844
  • whitney3.jpg
    whitney3.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,455

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these Oregon ghost towns are doable from where I live. A mini summer vacation. I wonder what access to these places would be. Don't wanna get shot....nice research btw.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
As I research , I try and put in the story if you cannot hunt them...or if they are on private land...I think so far only one is on private owned land...but if you ask ....you might get permission!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread