jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
these artifacts are the northern counterparts to srv's ft ancient artifacts
102_0310.jpg

102_0311.jpg

102_0313.jpg

102_0312.jpg

the only bone and pottery i find is in fire pits the soil up here is to acidic,tempering from heat helps preserve it

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That is a very nice grouping of artifacts from a time period that is commonly misidentified. When I get back from this business trip I'll post a frame of Caborn-Welborn material from Southern Indiana. It was also a contemporary to the Ft. Ancient and went just a little bit later(to 1720 or so.)

What I think is fascinating about those groups (Ft. Ancient, Oneota, Caborn-Welborn, Monogahela, Oliver Phase, Springhills, etc.) is that they were really kind of the last wild Native Americans in the Midwest. With in a generation or so they were assimiliated, killed, or push west by other Native groups (as well as non- Native groups) that were moving in from the East.

Joshua

OP
OP
jeff a

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
i've always been fascinated in the differences of their pipes ,even though their home areas overlapped the monogahela made platform pipes with really long bowls and the whittlesey made bird effigy vasiform pipes,some of the sites i hunt are only seperated by river drainages of a few miles

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking pieces Jeff. I believe I remember reading that the Hardin Village Site in Greenup county, Kentucky had some Monogahela/Whittlesey connections through the types of Pottery found on the site.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Nice representation of Monongahela artifacts......keep an eye out for Marginella beads. I have found them on all the sites in my area and they are easily over looked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread