Who Buried The Loot?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who Buried The Loot?

Buried loot, we hear about it all the time, stories involving everything from pirates to old misers. Yes, there's a lot of stories out there and it just might surprise you that some of those stories are true. Question is, which ones?

I only bring this up because it's been a topic of personal interest lately, call it another one of those pet projects for the long and grueling road ahead. What began as a very casual treasure hunting adventure has now turned into something else, the all-out pursuit of treasure in any form. Buried loot wasn't on the original list of pursuits but now it is and I can't wait to go snooping about.

In 1876 and under a downed tree two Wells Fargo agents discovered a powder tin containing $2'800 in currency and two sacks containing $1'700 in gold dust. They also recovered a gold brick valued at $2'800. How sweet would it be to discover something like this today. And this is just one such documented story of recovered buried treasure.

In 1605 an ancient document tells of Spanish soldiers recovering pieces of eight that an Indian chief had buried near St Luci Inlet. This account is representing a rare account of Spanish success in their attempt to reclaim any portion of the millions of dollars these coastal Indians routinely looted from shipwrecks and passengers over the course of about 200 years. Survivor accounts and other existing documents leave no doubt that a great deal of this widely scattered loot is likely to still be out there.

And in more modern times, well, we've all heard endless stories of buried loot. According to police and insurance records, following a home invasion, a loose coin collection valued at around $60'000 was tossed from a moving vehicle near the site of a small bridge, these loose coins becoming scattered in a side ditch and an adjacent front yard. The recovery of these coins was never pursued and so they are still out there today, the property owner having no clue what was tossed onto his property. No kidding, this is all fact, not fiction.

So, who buried the loot? Apparently a lot of folks over the years. Just thought I'd start a thread so folks could share a few “true tales” of buried treasure with the masses if they so wish. I've provided just a small variety of true tales already just to get the wheels spinning.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
So long ago it seems like another life, I worked for a short time in what was called "a school for boys," which was actually a prison for juveniles ages 16 to 18. I thought I could do anything if the pay was right, but I couldn't, wasn't cut out for that type of work. Anyhow, one of the boys was a troubled kid that had been taken in by a foster parent family. The kid stole a valuable (?) (valuable enough to get him in jail anyhow) coin collection from the foster parent. His story was he hid it in a hollow oak tree somewhere around or on the property, and wouldn't tell where it was. I've always wondered if he eventually got out of Jail and went back and got his loot, or if it still in a tree somewhere around Santa Margarita, Calif.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder about lost treasure tails, could they be false ? Was there a motive behind the story, like publicity for a business that they had ? or just a cruel hoax to play mind games with the locals, lol.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Another one, from not very long ago. They were smart enough to keep their mouth shut on this find, so only a very few people know about it. They owned a ranch with an old homestead on the back end of the property. Tree huggers having blocked logging on federal land, the price of timber was up, so they decided to log the location of the old homestead. I don't know if they found it in a tree, or the cat stirred up the ground enough to expose the cache, but they found a number of gold coins, and in today's market, several gold coins amount to a lot of money. Like I said, they kept their mouth shut, and that's about all I know, told to me by a son-in-law when we were talking about metal detecting.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder about lost treasure tails, could they be false ? Was there a motive behind the story, like publicity for a business that they had ? or just a cruel hoax to play mind games with the locals, lol.

For sure many of them are false tales, on the other hand, many are not. This is where the 3 r's come into play....."Research, research, research".

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I have checked out many tales. Some check out and others don't. I just collect facts on the stories untill the scale tips to the fact or fiction side.
Here's one I checked out and it appears to be fact and a huge amount of silver. I even maped it out with the most probable location shown on the map. The catch 22 is it is over the line in Mexico. Frank five star.png
Boca TP-2 500.jpg
Boca map 500 -2 copy.jpg

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
So many treasure stories begin with finding treasure, leaving for some reason, then not being able to find it again. The big tree is no longer there, the big rock fell down the canyon etc.
Now we have our trusty GPS so we will always find our way. ? I wonder what I did with that piece of paper I wrote those numbers on.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Frankn there is another catch 22, It's a very desolate, hot, dry part of the world. The last time I was down there it was an honest 110degF in the shade.
But there's always winter.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your using GPS you are not as "alone" as you think. If you take any thing electronic (including the vehicle) you may be giving away the location, just a thought!
Of course now days they can probably track us by our brain waves!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's some good tales here......anyone care to share anymore? I have a few more I might drop on you in a while.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one I heard long ago from my uncle.... His family is from Arkansas and apparently down the road from them were two brothers who lived back in the woods and were hardly ever seen off their property. The story is that they both had spent time in the military and served in either Korea or Vietnam (I can't remember which) and were on disability from that. Supposedly they had a relative who cashed their checks for them each month and brought them the cash, which they then stashed in different places around the property, and whenever they needed groceries or anything else they would leave a list and some money in the mailbox for the relative to pick up. I'm sure they are long gone by now, but if it's all true I'm sure there would still be stashes there to be found.

On a side note, my uncle also told me about him and his brother buying old cap and ball pistols out of a "junk gun" bucket at the local store to play cowboys and indians with in the woods behind their house.This would have been in the 1950's so they were probably perfectly good but "obsolete" guns..... He said they pretty much lost every one of them back there eventually so there's a bunch of those waiting to be found on the mountain as well. There is also a cave on the side of the mountain with initials and names carved in it going back to the early 1800's, and I'm told that people hid there from Confederate press gangs during the war.... might be some good finds to be made there too.....

Anyone up around Mountain View Arkansas, it might be a good story to look into, I'd like to myself, but I don't know when I'd ever get a chance.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several reasons to bury or otherwise hide wealth:

You have something you're afraid will be stolen or heavily taxed.

You have stolen something you don't want others to know about.

. . . . No wait, I guess there are only two reasons.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most "legends" originated from some form of truth(s)...in fact most in my opinion are close to truth... basic details are what survive or don't survive to a "legend".
Like a "fish story" they tend to get "bent" or changed on purpose to redirect motives... the best way to get to the bottom (truth) of any story is to get as close to "the horses mouth" as possible...
and to the "root".
As far as " who buried the loot".... Everyone buried... was standard practice... since the stone age... it is almost a human "instinct" to bury items of value... IF anything has to be protected from others... it will be buried.... period.
SO.... get digging !!! heh

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Frankn there is another catch 22, It's a very desolate, hot, dry part of the world. The last time I was down there it was an honest 110degF in the shade.
But there's always winter.

Hay, this would be a good one for that TV guy that looking for people and ideas! Frank five star.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread